UFL KICKOFF: October 2009

The United Football League (UFL) forum
Aaronhere
Site Admin

UFL KICKOFF: October 2009

Post by Aaronhere »

So, the UFL is going to get off the ground...we think. I am disappointed there will be only four teams the first season, with a six-game schedule (sounds like the Spring Football League), but I also think a full-blown season this fall, with today's economy, could have killed the whole concept before it got off the ground:

NEW YORK, NY (February 9, 2009) - In its "Premiere" year, the UFL will have four teams playing in at least seven cities. The four teams selected for the "Premiere" season are Las Vegas/Los Angeles, New York/Hartford, Orlando and San Francisco/Sacramento. During the course of the six-week season, these four teams will travel to each city for games. The season will culminate with a Championship Game tentatively scheduled for Thanksgiving weekend in Las Vegas.

CNBC has this story:
It's the most improbable story in the sports business industry so far this year.

While sports leagues try to figure out exactly how they're going to deal with this economic downturn, a new sports league is being announced today.

It's called the United Football League and its season, dubbed "UFL Premiere," is scheduled to kick off in October with four teams that will play a six-game season in at least seven cities.

Led by former NFL executive and agent Michael Huyghue as commissioner and prominent sports marketer Frank Vuono as chief operating officer, the season has been financed through $30 million of capital provided by a group of investors including investment banker Bill Hambrecht, Google [GOOG 378.14 6.86 (+1.85%) ] senior vice president Tim Armstrong and Paul Pelosi, the husband of the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi.

The cities where the teams will play are: Las Vegas/Los Angeles, New York/Hartford, Orlando and San Francisco/Sacramento. Players are expected to be signed, at what the league says will be salaries higher than NFL minimums, starting this summer. They will be trained and housed in Casa Grande, Arizona, where the league says a $20 million training complex is being constructed.

The league says the average ticket price will be $20 to $25 per ticket and the single-entity league will do its best to lure the crowds by assigning players to areas where they played their high school, college or professional football. The financial model hopes for 20,000 to 25,000 fans per game in the first season.

The announcement comes after the Arena Football League announced plans to fold up for at least the 2009 season, and maybe forever. It also comes eight years after the XFL played its first game. That league, co-owned by the WWE and General Electric (NBC)[GE 12.24 1.14 (+10.28%) ] , folded after one season.

Asked if he’s scared that people will immediately shoot down the idea of the league being successful given the XFL’s past and the fact that they’ll be playing during the NFL and college football seasons, Frank Vuono told us, “I kind of like that.”

“People have been telling me I can’t do things most of my life,” Vuono said. “That motivates us. That and the fact that the business community doesn’t really know much about what we’re going to do.”

Vuono says there will be advertising on jerseys and sponsors in eight categories will have exclusivity. He also said that when the league is established, the idea is to have it trade publicly. It was Hambrecht who convinced Google to use an internet-based auction for their IPO five years ago.

Unlike the XFL, Vuono says the NFL will be “quietly happy” with the startup. “It will be like putting 200 people on their practice squads,” Vuono said.

League officials say they are in final negotiations with a television network and the venues where the games will be played.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/29097570
America's Real Team
http://www.packershistory.net
phydeaux72
Site Admin

Post by phydeaux72 »

It doesn't look like San Antonio is even on the UFL's radar for the future. Which is really sad. San Antonio would be a great market for this league.
indoor fan
Site Admin

Post by indoor fan »

San Antonio, as well as the rest of Texas, is big into high school football. So Friday nights would not work.

The last outdoor professional team in San Antonio, the Matadors of the Spring Football League (SFL), did well.
Aaronhere
Site Admin

Post by Aaronhere »

[quote=""indoor fan""]San Antonio, as well as the rest of Texas, is big into high school football. So Friday nights would not work.

The last outdoor professional team in San Antonio, the Matadors of the Spring Football League (SFL), did well.[/quote]

Did well?
From Remember the SFL.com:
San Antonio Matadors, led by coach, Brian Wiggins, was the 2nd most talented team in the SFL, the Matadors were "Co-Champions" of the league along with Houston. The Matadors lone home game drew approx. 1,500 - 3000 people to Alamo Stadium, when they played Los Angeles Dragons in week #2.
America's Real Team
http://www.packershistory.net
PittsburghMaulers
Site Admin

Cities

Post by PittsburghMaulers »

The UFL may only start with 4 teams but playing in 6 or 8 cities..BUT the new USFL has been lining up cities and owners quickly.
cusefan21
Site Admin

Post by cusefan21 »

To me i think it's great another league is trying to be a startup to help out the NFL by giving players a chance to play and make it either to the NFL because they were looked over as not being that good or players that want a second chance to get back into the game
preeths
Site Admin

Post by preeths »

Too bad they aren't playing in the spring.
cusefan21
Site Admin

Post by cusefan21 »

preeth, so right i think they have a much better shot going the spring route,since it seems the "NEW" USFL league has seemed to vanish when it looked like they had plenty of strong backing
BringUSFLBack
Site Admin

Post by BringUSFLBack »

[quote=""cusefan21""]preeth, so right i think they have a much better shot going the spring route,since it seems the "NEW" USFL league has seemed to vanish when it looked like they had plenty of strong backing[/quote]The New USFL is still a go. I wrote their office about why the web site was devoid of info and got a response back from Michael Dwyer. He said that the web site will be improved and info will be forthcoming on June 10th.
Last edited by BringUSFLBack on Wed May 13, 2009 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “UFL”