League adding Delaware 87ers for 2013-14

The NBA Development League (D-League) forum
toad455
Site Admin

League adding Delaware 87ers for 2013-14

Post by toad455 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:35 am

The Philadelphia 76ers purchased the old Utah Flash and the team will relocate to Newark, Delaware. The league isn't calling this an expansion team as the league stated that their will be no new expansion any time soon. If that's the case, there's three other "suspended teams" that could possibly be bought and relocated(Florida Flame, Arkansas Rimrockers & Fort Worth Flyers) to bring the league up to 20 teams.

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/130427-delaware-87ers

Rojodi
Site Admin

Post by Rojodi » Thu May 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Albany NY needs to be one of those teams. Those that have played or coached for the CBA Albany Patroons include Phil Jackson, George Karl, Scott Brooks, Terry Stotts, Rick Carlisle, and Bill Musselman.

nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports » Sat May 04, 2013 5:34 am

[quote=""Rojodi""]Albany NY needs to be one of those teams. Those that have played or coached for the CBA Albany Patroons include Phil Jackson, George Karl, Scott Brooks, Terry Stotts, Rick Carlisle, and Bill Musselman.[/quote]

You could go real retro and bring back the Rochester Royals, Syracuse Nationals and the Akron Non-Skids as rivals. Rename Fort Wayne as the Zollner Pistons (too bad they're not a Detroit affiliate).

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sun May 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Much as I would love to see it, I doubt Albany will get a D-League team. The only way I see is if the Knicks or Nets owned it, and they would probably want it in NYC or at least closer than Albany.

For instance, the Sixers bought a team and moved it to Newark, DE, a little more than an hour away. I assume they will be playing at the University of Delaware and using their facilities.

Of the Upstate markets, I could see Rochester hosting a D-League team. No major college ball, major league teams and a relatively affluent population.

LightningMan
Site Admin

Post by LightningMan » Mon May 06, 2013 1:28 pm

[quote=""panchess""]Much as I would love to see it, I doubt Albany will get a D-League team. The only way I see is if the Knicks or Nets owned it, and they would probably want it in NYC or at least closer than Albany.[/quote]
Well, since the Knicks are already partnered with the Erie Bayhawks, that leaves just the Nets.

[quote=""panchess""]Of the Upstate markets, I could see Rochester hosting a D-League team. No major college ball, major league teams and a relatively affluent population.[/quote]
Perhaps that's the ultimate goal of the PBL's Rochester Razorsharks.

Return to “D-League”