2011 Schedule and Edmonton?

The International Basketball League (IBL) forum
Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:27 pm

I've been to Fort McMurray for work, a couple of times. The first time I went I was expecting some small town, much like going to Medicine Hat (also for work). I was amazed at the money floating around, the residents refer to the place as Fort McMoney, every time oil goes up, more money flows into town too.

They have a decent arena too, a AJHL team plays there. When I was reading your posts I thought Ft. McMurray would be a good venue, there are plenty of Americans in town, and tons of young guys with lots of cash and not much to do.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:37 pm

[quote=""Paul S""]I've been to Fort McMurray for work, a couple of times. The first time I went I was expecting some small town, much like going to Medicine Hat (also for work). I was amazed at the money floating around, the residents refer to the place as Fort McMoney, every time oil goes up, more money flows into town too.

They have a decent arena too, a AJHL team plays there. When I was reading your posts I thought Ft. McMurray would be a good venue, there are plenty of Americans in town, and tons of young guys with lots of cash and not much to do.[/quote]

Winter is a good time for things in Fort Mac. From what I understand about the oil industry is that the summer is when it is full swing. Thus, it might be a problem attracting fans, since most people in the patch seem to work ungodly hours per week. Then again, I guess Lloydminster is much in the same boat. I guess we will see how it goes.

Fort Mac might very well be a good venue. But it does seem to be an expensive proposition for a team who claimed to be so broke that the playoffs were out of the question last year. Plus it is far easier to fly into Fort Mac than to drive. In fact, the highway is one of the most dangerous in the province. Seems to me in the AJHL the teams fly up to Fort Mac. They drive to Edmonton and then take a flight up. Takes some deep pocketed owners of the team to pay for visitors to do so.

Return to “IBL”