Oklahoma Finds A Home

The Continental Basketball Association (CBA) forum
psbf
Site Admin

to answer

Post by psbf » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:42 pm

you, tbayz1, there were no official numbers given. But as close as I can come is that the season tickets were at 500 last season. I'm sure the local media would dispute this, but they were not at the games, I was. I would say that that number was our lowest. It did pick up to at least 1,500 once the schools became involved, though. But you are right, the X playing at M.A. is costly, which is why I'm tryiing to help promote them. I'm hoping to see more come out this coming season.
On another topic; I saw the press release that Oklahoma put out, which looks very impressive with a 'large showing'. Unfortunately, they did not put any numbers out. But I like the fact that the city's mayor and others were in attendence. With nothing else to do there, I don't see why they would not embrace their new team.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Not easy to promote a minor league bball team in a major sports market, wish the Xplosion good luck!!

Same goes for the OK Cavs! Werent they originally supposed to be in the ABA, but then jumped to the CBA? Hope they do well too!
The PBL is in Buffalo! Lets Go Stampede!!

psbf
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by psbf » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:49 pm

tbadz1. But just because a city holds major teams does not mean another sport can't be added(imo). Pittsburgh has had big crowds for college and H.S. Basketball(and football), I see no reason why those crowds can't come out for Xplosion games too. I feel the X just have to reach out for the fans.
Some may call me a dreamer, that's ok. The X are approaching the third season of their 5 year contract with Mellon Arena and I hope they go beyond it. That means they will have to find a new home in this area too, since M.A. will be demolished after the Pens new arena is built.
Anyway, from the media releases that I've read, things are looking good for our newest teams(imo).

Ken, Steelheads fan
Site Admin

Heck, what does the media know anyway?!?

Post by Ken, Steelheads fan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:51 pm

[quote=""psbf""]you, tbayz1, there were no official numbers given. But as close as I can come is that the season tickets were at 500 last season. I'm sure the local media would dispute this, but they were not at the games, I was. I would say that that number was our lowest. It did pick up to at least 1,500 once the schools became involved, though. But you are right, the X playing at M.A. is costly, which is why I'm tryiing to help promote them. I'm hoping to see more come out this coming season.
On another topic; I saw the press release that Oklahoma put out, which looks very impressive with a 'large showing'. Unfortunately, they did not put any numbers out. But I like the fact that the city's mayor and others were in attendence. With nothing else to do there, I don't see why they would not embrace their new team.[/quote]

500 season ticket holders, huh? I've never been to any Xplosion games, so I'm counting on you to take photos. Hmmmmm. Do you think there is a reason why no official numbers were given? ;)

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:06 pm

[quote=""psbf""]tbadz1. But just because a city holds major teams does not mean another sport can't be added(imo). Pittsburgh has had big crowds for college and H.S. Basketball(and football), I see no reason why those crowds can't come out for Xplosion games too. I feel the X just have to reach out for the fans.
Some may call me a dreamer, that's ok. The X are approaching the third season of their 5 year contract with Mellon Arena and I hope they go beyond it. That means they will have to find a new home in this area too, since M.A. will be demolished after the Pens new arena is built.
Anyway, from the media releases that I've read, things are looking good for our newest teams(imo).[/quote]

Agreed 100%, almost like it is here in Buffalo, its just alot of competition and it takes alot of hard work and a concentrated effort!

psbf
Site Admin

Yes

Post by psbf » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:12 pm

it does. Tbays1, I would like to see the Silverbacks join the CBA as I think there is a natural rivalry between us and Albany. In addition, I would like to see the Silverbacks play the Xplosion.

tbayz1
Site Admin

Post by tbayz1 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:28 pm

[quote=""psbf""]it does. Tbays1, I would like to see the Silverbacks join the CBA as I think there is a natural rivalry between us and Albany. In addition, I would like to see the Silverbacks play the Xplosion.[/quote]

Who wouldnt? Haha. It would be nice if there was one more North Eastern team in the CBA to create a nice little division!! I wish we would be in a league like the CBA, but were still in the ABA right now :( At least the ABA teams up here in the N-East are decent with some pretty good talent, the games are fun!

OKCAVS67
Site Admin

Post by OKCAVS67 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:01 am

[quote=""tbayz1""]Not easy to promote a minor league bball team in a major sports market, wish the Xplosion good luck!!

Same goes for the OK Cavs! Werent they originally supposed to be in the ABA, but then jumped to the CBA? Hope they do well too![/quote]

I am not sure, Could be, I remember seeing Lawton listed on the expansion listing while visting the ABA website, but now it has been removed.

I have seen alot of that happening with teams going to the ABA then CBA or other league.

The USBL has/ had a team (Oklahoma Storm) in Enid Oklahoma, a suburb North of Oklahoma City. Wouldn't be a far fetched idea if they could join the CBA to give a closer rival to the CAVS. Doub't it would happen anytime soon.
I think with the way the league is now, we should be able to handle the competition.

psbf
Site Admin

They were

Post by psbf » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:44 am

tbayz1. The difference is that Oklahoma still jumped to this league(as City) before they saw any action in the other league, which I think was a smart move. Everyone knows the ABA reputation so I think they will get more fans than they would have then.

psbf
Site Admin

btw

Post by psbf » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:49 pm

I noticed, when I visited the Cavs website, that they have the Utah Eagles in the standings. Someone should tell them to replace Utah with the RGV Silverados.

Return to “CBA”