Gwizz Newzz

The American Basketball Association (ABA) forum
dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Things to chew on:
(hard to find this information as most places like to individually negotiate the prices, but...)
Home to the Houston Rockets, Toyota Center can also play host to your special events, gala dinner, award shows, meetings, and expos. Rates starting at $60,000 an event.
Orlando's Amway Center:
The minimum base rent is $25,000.
Promoters typically pay a negotiated maximum amount for many concerts. That's currently $65,000.
That's on target with some other venues, such as the arenas in Memphis, Charlotte and St. Louis. (all much smaller cities than Atlanta - dmbishop)
Here's one a little more in the ABA range...
The Columbus Civic Center:
Rent: Base rent of the building for an event is $2,000.00 or twelve percent (12%) of the adjusted gross , whichever is greatest.
And remember that this is BEFORE insurance. And everything from use of the scoreboard, concession workers, ticket sellers, security, maintenance workers, etc. is in most cases a la carte.

Dave
Last edited by dmbishop on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SugarBear
Site Admin

maybe piggy backing?

Post by SugarBear » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I know our organization played a game before the nets at the prudential center. Between the two teams we had to sell 300 $20 tickets. Basically $6000 plus we had to cover insurance and refs. I know guys that played at Madison square garden they had the same deal but they had to sell 10,000 worth of tickets for the NY Liberty game that followed. Maybe the hawks are offering something like that. If you look at the Springfield armour of the d-league they offer the court as well. They call it court of dreams I believe

Paul S
Site Admin

Post by Paul S » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:36 pm

North Dallas Vandals do that with the Dr. Pepper Arena and the Texas Legends. The Legends GM was handing out Legends tickets and he was kind enough to tell me they are trying to help the Vandals out. Whether there is renumeration or not I am not aware.

SugarBear teams might sell 300 ducats, but I think the last ABA team that could sell 300 $20 tickets would be the Vermont Frost Heaves or maybe the Rochester Razorsharks. There are no teams that can sell 300 tickets at $20 a pop in the ABA currently.

In fact most teams can't get 300 people to the game with free tickets. The ND Vandals game I mentioned above was vs the Shizuoka Gymrats. Counting players, the refs, the Legends GM, various staff + players of the Legends wandering around, the guy with the mop cleaning the toilets there was about 150-170 people at the game. There was nobody collecting money at the door so there was no tickets for sale, the game was free.

Maybe if Joe would publish some stats from the basement in his house that he runs the league out of, we could get some attendance numbers. But I am not holding my breath.
Last edited by Paul S on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mean Spirited Blogger Number 14

"If games are missed, it hurts no one" ...... ABA CEO Joe Newman 2/9/09

Due to numerous threats of legal action from certain people.......all of the above is my opinion only and it should be noted that I have never invested in the ABA. It is simply one mans opinion.

turbocamyes
Site Admin

Post by turbocamyes » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:10 am

I thought I remembered that some team played before the Hawks last year. It was the Atlanta Aliens. From their website:

http://www.atlantaaliens.net/team.html

Wed, Mar 13 vs Electric City Lions in Atlanta, GA (Pro Basketball Double Header at Philips Arena Game #1) (Exhibition)
Wed, Mar 13 Atlanta Hawks vs LA Lakers (Pro Basketball Double Header at Philips Arena Game #2) (NBA GAME)

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:52 pm

[quote=""dmbishop""]
And remember that this is BEFORE insurance. And everything from use of the scoreboard, concession workers, ticket sellers, security, maintenance workers, etc. is in most cases a la carte.
[/quote]

Switching from a hockey layout to a basketball layout can add some bucks too..

Looking at pics of the Columbus Civic Center, that's a really good price.. at least on the surface.. but like you said it's what we see as the base price, who knows what they pass on to you for other stuff..

I'd bet you're not getting much (and maybe none) of concessions at that price either..

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:57 pm

[quote=""SugarBear""]I know our organization played a game before the nets at the prudential center. Between the two teams we had to sell 300 $20 tickets. Basically $6000 plus we had to cover insurance and refs. I know guys that played at Madison square garden they had the same deal but they had to sell 10,000 worth of tickets for the NY Liberty game that followed. Maybe the hawks are offering something like that. If you look at the Springfield armour of the d-league they offer the court as well. They call it court of dreams I believe[/quote]

Makes sense.

Getting some of the security, building staff and concessions staff there a few hours early would be way less than $6,000 or $10,000.. the venue is already configured..

It's a good way to add a few grand to the bottom line while also boosting attendance to the Nets or Liberty game by a hundred or so.. When you're the Atlanta Hawks, it's pretty easy to imagine they have the extra inventory.

dmbishop
Site Admin

Post by dmbishop » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:23 pm

[quote=""JeffKuntz""]Looking at pics of the Columbus Civic Center, that's a really good price.. at least on the surface.. but like you said it's what we see as the base price, who knows what they pass on to you for other stuff..

I'd bet you're not getting much (and maybe none) of concessions at that price either..[/quote]

Here's the link to the pricing page:

http://www.columbusciviccenter.org/promoter/ArenaRates/

EVERYTHING (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is an additional charge. $1500 for a floor conversion by the way... ;-)

Dave

JeffKuntz
Site Admin

Post by JeffKuntz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:16 pm

[quote=""dmbishop""]Here's the link to the pricing page:

http://www.columbusciviccenter.org/promoter/ArenaRates/

EVERYTHING (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is an additional charge. $1500 for a floor conversion by the way... ;-)

Dave[/quote]

That's an awesome link. Thanks for sharing.

And yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

There's some things that are stupid, like $300 for the internet and $75 for the wireless mic.. but over-all that pricing page puts an event around what could be considered market value from my limited experience..

I'm pretty familiar with pricing of multiple minor league venues in Ohio and some in Florida and that page you showed us all isn't outrageous at all.. in fact, when I first wrote my response to you this morning I put that I was "skeptical" it was only $2,000, but then reworded it because I was like - "well maybe it is only $2k. how would I know??"

But anyway - not to repeat myself but Columbus Civic Center's prices are very much in line with other minor league venues (that I'm familiar with)

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:36 pm

The Columbus arena has 10,000. Good deal for that price, though it's unfathomable an ABA team could use half that many seats.

panchess
Site Admin

Post by panchess » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:40 pm

The Columbus arena has almost 8,000 seats for basketball. Good deal for that price, though it's unfathomable an ABA team could use half that many seats.

Return to “ABA”