AFL Expansion for 2014

The Arena Football League (AFL) forum
Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:32 pm

[quote=""VinnyTheViper""]They are having a name the team contest, I suppose that the Forest Dragons could be the overwhelming choice by the fans but I suspect that ownership might want to go a different direction.
[/quote]

The "contest" is among schoolkids, not the general population. Of course, this board is cognizant of how these "contests" can turn out, right?

Of course, with the Hillsboro Hops in existence, the Growlers could be both a play on [insert predatory animal here] and the omnipresent microbrew industry in town.

Still, 3 years, tops.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

jmel92501
Site Admin

well theres always...

Post by jmel92501 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:58 am

cementers!!!

:)

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:58 pm

I've been here so long that, upon seeing this article, my first reaction was to question why the author/columnist has so much time on his hands.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... er_default

Of course, the comment about the "dance team" becomes borderline priceless.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:36 pm

If prompted, I'll post pictures... I got handed tickets to last night's game.

Announced crowd (except it wasn't "announced") of 6,521.

Strike it by half.

A lot of people in town don't like Terry Emmert. Politics is why. I'm trying to see past that- and it's not that hard- just that he puts himself in a lot of the promotion. That's a problem. I wasn't there for the owner.

Half the concession stands were closed last night. I heard stories about that last week; people would be pissed off if they really gave a damn. They really don't; though the number I heard was 2,500 season tickets sold (many of us would have guessed lower). The Blazers reached out to a lot of local restaurants to reinvent the concessions, and they're not open for this? You can see where the ownership cuts corners. I suspect more than a little culture clash (when it comes to concessions and the like), but the owner is going to find that Paul Allen ends up being his worst enemy.

The team... if it wins games, it'll be on special teams. First year, they don't look like they're on the same page, I suspect that's to be expected.

I've pretty much thought this team is 3 years and out, maybe 2. If that opinion changes, it's either because the number gets lower or the front office pulls a marketing miracle out of it's collective orifice. This place has more than its share of marketing pros, so you never count that out in Portland, but I'm not sure Terry Emmert has the links he needs to succeed.

Return to “AFL”