AFL Expansion for 2014

The Arena Football League (AFL) forum
Panthers14
Site Admin

AFL Expansion for 2014

Post by Panthers14 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:28 am

AFL Commissioner Kurtz gave a state of the league address which he stated that there are two expansion teams slated for next season (2014). Does anyone know who the cities are? Could it be the Nashville Group who were planning a relaunch of the Nashville Kats, and if so, then who is the other group? In addition, the Milwaukee Mustangs suspended operations for this season, will they be back in 2014? I know they say they are planning a return, but then again, is this not the rhetoric of every failed franchise!!! I am still waiting for a return of the Johnstown J-Dogs....anyone remember them from the old Indoor Football League? But back to 2014 expansion, if not Nashville then who? I do remember reading that a Boston group were considering coming aboard; and now with CBS Sportsnetwork involved, could a return to New York be far behind...and to my Buffalo friends, yes I too would like to see a return of the Buffalo Destroyers; but I will put my money first that TV Rights and Advertising will dictate...so maybe the two teams will be in New York and Los Angeles instead? In a perfect world the two would be a return of the Albany Firebirds and the Grand Rapids Rampage too, but for all us fans who have suffered and loved this league over the years, we realize that the "State of the League" is only a facade for casual consumption...much like a bad marriage!!! Well, we stay together for the kids and the dog... :rolleyes:

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:11 am

Good question, lots of stuff has been floated around but who knows what will really happen.

Last season people were talking about Portland and NY joining the league. The Portland contingency turned out to be a joke as they were offered a franchise for pennies on the dollar and still couldn't put the financing together. Mil, GA, and KC could have been purchased cheap, and Chicago had been for sale for a couple of years. So Portland is out unless a different group comes forward.

Currently the Brooklyn market rights are owned by Jim Ferraro, former owner of the New Jersey Red Dogs, New Jersey Gladiators, before moving them to Las Vegas and failing. He then sold the franchise to Dan Gilbert, owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA), Lake Erie Monsters (AHL), and the venue they play in, Quicken loans Arena.

If Mr. Ferraro doesn't put a team there by 2014 he loses the market rights. Will he start another team? Will he be able to sell the rights? Will the league just wait him out and attempt to put a team there in 2015?

Not much has been heard from Woody Kern, who wanted to move the Dallas Vigilantes to Nashville, or the other group that had shown interest a few years back.

Will the New Orleans VooDoo be willing to think relocation if this season doesn't go well? Their attendance has dropped each year since the return. Yesterdays game only attracted 3,564 butts in seats and it may even be an over count. They had more than that in 2010 when they were in the af2 market of Bossier-Shreveport.

Heres some PR speak from Brett Bouchy, the owner of the Orlando Predators. His brother owns the Jacksonville Sharks. How true is it, who knows. Will the China deal work? Olympic sport??

This was provided by Reppact over on ArenaFan

From a story in today's Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/f ... 3690.story

Quote:
OS: The AFL is looking to expand to Europe and China. Can you discuss those plans?

BB: "We're going to have exhibition games [in China] in late 2013 and then have a full six-team league that is scheduled to start in 2014. The goal is to do a similar six-team league in Europe in 2015.

"I will tell you that arena football will be an Olympic sport [the league is aiming for inclusion in 2020], and it will be the vehicle to grow the game internationally.

"[The NFL] has tried a minor league with NFL Europe, which didn't work. That's not that it didn't work; they still had 18,000 fans per game. We have a different economic model. We have 20 players versus 50 players. We have the advantage that we're mean and lean.''

OS: The Orlando City Soccer Club is looking to lure a Major League Soccer team to Central Florida, and Winter Park wants to attract a minor-league baseball franchise. How does that affect the Preds?

BB: "I don't think it'll change anything. It's about spreading the gospel. We've had a lot of success the past 22 years, and we will continue to build the credibility and relevance of our brand. That's what we're going to do by bringing the ArenaBowl here, getting A-list artists like KISS and aligning them with our brand.

"I think you'll see the AFL move into markets like Los Angeles and New York next year. I expect those announcements probably at the ArenaBowl. It's an exciting time for us to grow.''

Indoorfan518
Site Admin

Brooklyn

Post by Indoorfan518 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm from NYC and rumors around town is there might be a team coming to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Rumor has to that the old owners of the NY Dragons are involved. Also the NY Islanders are suppose to be moving to the Barclay too. Would be great to see Jay-Z n beyonce front row of a AFL game. They are supposedly waiting on a league vote to vote the team in. Like I said these are just rumors floating around town not 100% sure.

VinnyTheViper
Site Admin

Post by VinnyTheViper » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:39 pm

I expect Brooklyn (been rumored for several seasons) and Portland (effort existed last season to move one of the teams that ultimately folded) to be looked as new locations but I do not see how we can call this expansion when it looks like Cleveland and Pittsburgh are both just playing out the string before they both pull the plug. Whatever new teams the league finds will be offset by those franchises that fold, I see no expansion in the number of teams for 2014.
Last edited by VinnyTheViper on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panthers14
Site Admin

Post by Panthers14 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:23 am

Thanks to everyone who replied. I too have heard of the Brooklyn Expansion team, but was unaware that Charles Wang, former owner of the previous AFL New York Dragons was involved. That would be great news and I too would look forward to a return of the New York Dragons. It would be sad to see the Cleveland Gladiators go, please say it isn't so. As far as the Pittsburgh Power, I think the only reason they are having trouble drawing crowds is the product on the field. IF they improve this season, knowing the area like I do since I grew up in Western Maryland and Steelers Football rules that area, then people will take notice...until then, Go Pens!!!!! I was unaware of the Portland Group. Who remembers the Portland Forest Dragons? I thought so, only us diehards; and even then I only remember a few games being televised nationally. Today the AFL has more options and I hope the exploit every avenue. I still hold true to my original premise: the next round of expansion will be in New York (Brooklyn) and Los Angeles (maybe a relaunch of the Avengers...if anyone remembers the former owner, he had deep pockets but soured to the current setup we have today of league ownership); I do not think the model is broke, I think the league does not promote itself enough or have the proper exposure...just watch a San Jose SaberCats Game. If every team would watch and learn, then I am sure the public would be aware of every team. Fry's Electronics sponsors and promotes the franchise and if the SaberCats are not on a national network, the Comcast California or one of the respective local channels are covering the game. There is a reason the NHL survives today, and this is because they make sure all franchises sign local broadcast deals and properly promote the respective teams. I grew up in Western Maryland and an NHL fan of the Washington Capitals and Pittsburgh Penguins...it was not because these franchises were geographically close to me, but because when I was a kid both teams had local broadcast contracts and I was forced to watch their teams respectively since the NHL back then did not have a national contract until ESPN arrived. I remember the old MISL doing the same and I grew to love the Baltimore Blast. Most people in Western Maryland could not tell you who any of the other franchises were back then in these two leagues, but they did know who the Capitals, Penguins, and Blast were...and they knew they were their teams...and that is half the battle...now the only other part of the puzzle is to put a winner on the field...because the simple fact is "People will not support a consistent looser;" especially in Cleveland & Pittsburgh...soon their attention will be on the Indians & Pirates. Last, what is up with the return of the Nashville Kats? Yes, I was aware that the former Dallas team was to be replanted in Nashville, then it was said that the owners of the NHL Nashville Predators were going to relaunch the Kats, and now there is no news....what disappoints me, but does not surprise me, is that there is no talk of a return to Columbus Ohio, Buffalo, Albany, Grand Rapids (oh, I forgot to mention Minneapolis since this was mentioned as a relocation of the former Rampage before the AFL last collapsed), Indianapolis, Charlotte (remember once there was a rumor the former Steeler Coach Cower would return with a new Charlotte Expansion Franchise...whatever happened there), and of course...a return of the Denver Crush / Dynamite. Oh well, expansion or whatever they wish to call it, just do what is needed to field a viable league and keep your broadcast contract.

Indoorfan518
Site Admin

Brooklyn

Post by Indoorfan518 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:08 pm

Spoke to someone in the know. Brooklyn team is a GO...

Panthers14
Site Admin

Post by Panthers14 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:28 am

So if the Brooklyn team is in for 2014, who are the owners and what will they be called? You mentioned that the former owners of the New York Dragons were involved. That would be Charles Wang, who also was a former owner of the NHL New York Islanders...I guess that would make sense since the Islanders will be moving to Brooklyn next season, but still keeping the name and logo...thus, will this be a return of the New York Dragons or the old New York Cityhawks? If I remember correctly, the NY Dragons were sold by Wang to a group of part owners of the NY Jets and the Dragons had changed their logo and colors for the season that never was...the NY Cityhawks were owned by MSG and they moved the franchise to Hartford, CT. to play two seasons as the New England Sea Wolves prior to finishing up in Toronto as the Phantoms. If I were King for a day, and believe me nobody would want that, I would bring back the New York Cityhawks...only because I was impartial to their logo and colors of Purple, Gold, & Black. However, I am am not King, and so I would bet the NY Dragons by Charles Wang will return with him investing in the NHL NY Islanders again as well since both franchises will be relocated to Brooklyn...and since Wang will be involved, if I am correct, then they will resurrect the original Dragons Logo and Colors...keep in mind the original NY Dragons with Aaron Garcia at QB were the relocated Iowa Barnstormers years ago...anyway it is good to reminisce.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:44 am

Portland?

There has been ZERO word about that here.

Both UFL and USFL have at least reached the news here in the past 12-18 months (chuckles included). AFL? Zip.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:43 pm

[quote=""Panthers14""]So if the Brooklyn team is in for 2014, who are the owners and what will they be called? You mentioned that the former owners of the New York Dragons were involved. That would be Charles Wang, who also was a former owner of the NHL New York Islanders...I guess that would make sense since the Islanders will be moving to Brooklyn next season, but still keeping the name and logo...thus, will this be a return of the New York Dragons or the old New York Cityhawks? If I remember correctly, the NY Dragons were sold by Wang to a group of part owners of the NY Jets and the Dragons had changed their logo and colors for the season that never was...the NY Cityhawks were owned by MSG and they moved the franchise to Hartford, CT. to play two seasons as the New England Sea Wolves prior to finishing up in Toronto as the Phantoms. If I were King for a day, and believe me nobody would want that, I would bring back the New York Cityhawks...only because I was impartial to their logo and colors of Purple, Gold, & Black. However, I am am not King, and so I would bet the NY Dragons by Charles Wang will return with him investing in the NHL NY Islanders again as well since both franchises will be relocated to Brooklyn...and since Wang will be involved, if I am correct, then they will resurrect the original Dragons Logo and Colors...keep in mind the original NY Dragons with Aaron Garcia at QB were the relocated Iowa Barnstormers years ago...anyway it is good to reminisce.[/quote]
The league owns the names and logo's, if they want the Dragons to return.
The AFL has offered specially priced franchise deals to all NBA and NHL owners.

Caballo Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Caballo Diablo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:34 pm

[quote=""Pounder""]Portland?

There has been ZERO word about that here.

Both UFL and USFL have at least reached the news here in the past 12-18 months (chuckles included). AFL? Zip.[/quote]

There are cities that actually have teams that most people aren't aware of.
It's a fact a group from Portland was trying to buy an existing AFL franchise last year. They were offered a great deal but couldn't find 2 nickles to rub together or a pot to pizz in.

Return to “AFL”