Spin, Spin and more Spin

The International Hockey League (UHL) forum
Nikola_Tesla
Site Admin

Post by Nikola_Tesla » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:56 am

[quote=""radiodavel""]I grew up on FW Komets hockey before I moved to Rockford, you have to give them credit for surviving for over 50 years. The K's do not want to be an affiliate for an NHL team, they don't send players up and down, they like being in control. Altough during there last days in the IHL they did have players assigned from the NHL. Hey I grew up with players like Eddie Long, Len Thornson, Lionel Repka and even enjoyed the days of Steve Fletcher. The K's have a great history, no doubt...

As good as the Frankes are, they also operated the KC Outlaws of the UHL, how long did that last.

This week should let us know how the U will look next year, also keep an eye on the ECHL talks...if teams do leave how many can leave and survive?[/quote]

Both of your previous posts were outstanding!! Obviously, you're an extremely knowledgeable fan. You just had to bring up the Kansas City deal though, didn't ya?? :mrgreen: At this point, it doesn't look good for the "U". Minor league hockey as a whole has suffered from the "hockey hobby syndrome" that you mentioned and that's a shame. It seems to me that for the business side of all the minor leagues and its continued economic health, a major realignment on the AA level may be in order. Unfortunately, for many cities in the minor league market, deep pocketed owners who want to dabble in franchise ownership have really hurt the stability of the game. As has been previously mentioned, the owners with a real vested interest from a business standpoint are consistently successful franchises. Maybe a massive shake-up is the best option in the long haul. Anyway, good luck to the Icehogs in the AHL. They'll be sorely missed by the "U"!

radiodavel
Site Admin

No news from meeting

Post by radiodavel » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:19 am

http://jgwebblogs.typepad.com/ice_chips_0607/

No news from meeting

Komets president Michael Franke confirmed there was a conference call among team owners Tuesday -- the rumor is that it regarded what teams will remain in the UHL for next season -- but Franke declined to comment on the agenda or any decisions from the meeting.

I don't get the impression anything has formally been decided. And I'm sticking to my belief that the Komets and about six other teams will remain in the UHL, while adding some clubs from other circuits, only it will be called the International Hockey League. (The Frankes own the rights to that moniker.) But as I've said, that's just my belief because they're guarding this stuff as if it were a state secret.

-- By Justin A. Cohn, The Journal Gazette

freddypuck
Site Admin

Kc...

Post by freddypuck » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:17 pm

I think KC was to fail no matter who ran it. However, I think the Frankes only bankrolled the team and I believe Adler ran it.

The market choices of the league have been poor, showing just how weak the due diligence is in the UHL. Had the proper homework been done, I dont think that there would have been teams in KC, Columbus, Richmond, Roanoke, or Motor City.

Problems with these markets? Richmond is not a hockey town, more baseball and racing. Motor City, KC, and Columbus had too many other sports teams fighting for the limited entertainment dollars that fans have available to spend. Roanoke is a Racing city and pure NASCAR.

radiodavel
Site Admin

K-Wings' Pickard: `Some league would want us'

Post by radiodavel » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:34 pm

radiodavel
Site Admin

Jackals have permission to join ECHL

Post by radiodavel » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:30 pm

Jackals have permission to join ECHL
http://www.stargazette.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... /304110024

qcmallards5
Site Admin

Post by qcmallards5 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:53 pm

My first post. I found QC to be very under-represented on this board, so I felt "behooved" to join.

I really hope radiodavel is correct that the "U" will come back as the "I" next year, but with a few more stable teams from other leagues. A league of 6 or 7 teams would be quite lame.

rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:41 pm

[quote=""qcmallards5""]My first post. I found QC to be very under-represented on this board, so I felt "behooved" to join.

I really hope radiodavel is correct that the "U" will come back as the "I" next year, but with a few more stable teams from other leagues. A league of 6 or 7 teams would be quite lame.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to talk other teams into joining this league.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer

freddypuck
Site Admin

Its Starting

Post by freddypuck » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:02 pm

Well a couple of days after the league meeting and whispers are starting to be heard around the league.

So now that we know Elmira is going ECHL and Rockford AHL

I have also heard that Quad and at least one other team have already submitted their applications to the ECHL as well. That is why the E is holding out on closing their meeting, they are waiting for a couple of more teams to make their final decision.

Nikola_Tesla
Site Admin

Post by Nikola_Tesla » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:06 pm

[quote=""qcmallards5""]My first post. I found QC to be very under-represented on this board, so I felt "behooved" to join.

I really hope radiodavel is correct that the "U" will come back as the "I" next year, but with a few more stable teams from other leagues. A league of 6 or 7 teams would be quite lame.[/quote]

What's up, QC? Good to see more fans of teams in the U comin' to represent! Playoff time!!! The Mallards are going to have their hands full with K-zoo. Should be an awesome series. I'm going to B2 some of those games if they are available for the playoffs. Keep on postin'!!

radiodavel
Site Admin

Uhl Announces Search Committee For Next Commissioner

Post by radiodavel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:55 pm

Port Huron, Chicago and Fw seem to think UHL is in business next year., by being on the search committee..interesting since they have 21 candidates in hand

One thing that could quell a lot of the rumors would be if the UHL could name its replacement for outgoing President Richard Brosal. Franke said the league received 21 resumes from applicants.

“I’d like to have a commissioner in place 30 days prior to Richard leaving,” Franke said. “If we could have somebody by May 1, that would be great.”

UHL ANNOUNCES SEARCH COMMITTEE FOR NEXT COMMISSIONER

LAKE ST. LOUIS, MO --- The United Hockey League (UHL) announced on Thursday that a search committee has been put in place to interview candidates for the next commissioner of the UHL. Due to current President/CEO, Richard Brosal leaving at the conclusion of this season, the 16th-consecutive season of play, there is a need to fill this position.

Mark Neal of the Port Huron Flags, Craig Drecktrah of the Chicago Hounds and Michael Franke of the Fort Wayne Komets have been selected by the board of governors to begin the process of finding a new commissioner. There have been numerous résumés and calls from perspective candidates, and the committee will start the search process immediately.

“I believe that the UHL is primed and ready to commence its 17th-consecutive season of play in the fall, and I truly wish the next commissioner the best of luck in leading this fine group of owners,” stated Richard Brosal, President/CEO.

Return to “IHL”