PigOut
Site Admin

Lumberjacks' Head Coach Steps Down ... 4-11

Post by PigOut » Mon May 11, 2009 10:49 pm

IHL Website -
http://www.ihl-hockey.com/index.php/pre ... ch-5-11-09

BRUCE RAMSAY STEPS DOWN AS LUMBERJACKS HEAD COACH

THREE-YEAR MUSKEGON MENTOR THIRD ALL-TIME IN COACHING WINS

MUSKEGON, MI.--- The Muskegon Lumberjacks of the International Hockey League have announced on this date that Bruce Ramsay has resigned as Head Coach, effective immediately.

Ramsay, 39, recently completed his third campaign behind the Muskegon bench when the Lumberjacks 2008-09 league season came to a close the past Friday night, May 8th, when they bowed in the IHL Turner Cup Championship Finals to the Fort Wayne Komets.

During his three-years’ tenure behind the Muskegon bench, Ramsay became the third all-time winningest head coach in modern franchise history, amassing 127-victories for a season average of 42.3. In 228-games at helm, Ramsay achieved a superb .599 winning percentage of 228(127-82-19). The Ramsay regime was highlighted by one Division Championship and one trip to the League Conference Finals with both achievements occurring in his initial season of bench piloting in 2006-07 and crowned by this season’s Lumberjacks squadron which he guided to the IHL Turner Cup Finals against defending league kingpin Fort Wayne.

“I would like to take this opportunity to especially thank Jeff and Stacy Patulski and Tim Taylor for the wonderful experience of coaching here in Muskegon,” stated the Lumberjacks outgoing coach. “Also, my thanks to Tony Lisman for originally giving me the opportunity to be behind the bench for one of the most prestigious, storied franchises in minor pro hockey. I am most appreciative as I enjoyed it tremendously. I want to thank the fans as well for their great support throughout my time here. These are exciting times for me and my family as we look ahead to the pursuing of new opportunities and the challenges that lie ahead.”

Lumberjacks General Manager/Governor Tim Taylor expressed much appreciation for his departing coach and his outstanding efforts while here. “We want to thank Bruce for his strong contributions and achievements as our coach over the past three years. We are especially appreciative of his tireless work ethic and his passion and drive in making Muskegon a top caliber team. We wish Bruce and his family every success and good fortune as they move forward into the future.”

Only Todd Nelson (149) and Rich Kromm (130) registered more victories than Ramsay in the modern era of the Muskegon franchise. His .599 winning percentage ranks as fourth all-time for Muskegon.

In the recently-completed 2008-09 IHL campaign, in the initial season of the second coming of the “Lumberjacks” name, Muskegon finished with third place positioning through a record of 76(43-26-7) totaling 93-points.

In the playoffs, though the Lumberjacks finished 6-points in arrears of Port Huron in the final league standings, Ramsay coaxed and cajoled the ‘Jacks to an opening series semi-finals upset of the second place finishing Icehawks in 6-games, 4-games to 2; advancing Muskegon to the Turner Cup Finals against two-time reigning Huber Trophy regular season champion Fort Wayne.

In 28-playoff post season games as Lumberjacks head coach, Ramsay compiled a record of 28(14-14) with those 14-wins also ranking third all-time behind Nelson (29) and Kromm (21). In five playoffs series, Ramsay’s Muskegon squads were 5(2-3).
Bacon & Eggs ..... A days work for a Chicken; a life sentence for a Hog!

Return to “IHL”