WNBA Draft

deebo
Site Admin

WNBA Draft

Post by deebo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:52 pm

I think it is wrong the WNBA to hold is draft during the day. I know many girls' would had wanted to watch it live. I know one young lady particular is my daughter. She tried to act like she was sick so she can stay home from school to watch it. How many other young ladies out there that probably did the same thing. Hope next year it would be in the evening or on the weekend

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:51 pm

It's not a matter of right and wrong. It's a matter of "TV rules the roost." If they don't want to show it at night, they can tell the NBA/WNBA where to go.

They don't want to show it at night. Most other shows get better ratings.

Improve the WNBA's stature, and this will change as well.

Shootmaster_44
Site Admin

Post by Shootmaster_44 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:36 am

Well if it makes you feel any better, it wasn't even carried on TV anywhere here in Canada. Not to sound rude or anything, but if it was such a big deal to your daughter you could've taped it for her. Since the WNBA has such a low profile, if she stayed away from the major American sports sites while at school she could watch it and still remain surprised. I know I've managed to tape games before and been able to avoid the results until after I watched the game.

But I do agree that the WNBA needs to raise its profile so that these events become bigger in the eyes of ESPN and the like. I would like to see the WNBA become bigger than the NBA's version of NFL Europe.

Being that it is a few day drive from the nearest WNBA city and there are few games on TV here in Canada, how well supported are the games? I understand the NBA's idea of placing most of the teams in NBA cities, but what about putting some teams in minor league basketball cities? I am unsure if women's basketball will sell in the summer, but I do know that summer basketball sells here in Saskatoon. I realize Saskatoon isn't the marquee destination that the NBA would want, but if you expand the WNBA to a combination of big cities and these smaller centres, I could see it taking off. At the very least the profile would be raised greatly in the smaller centres and likely in Canada as a whole if enough of the smaller centres had teams.

Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 pm

Shoot describes, BTW, what happens in Europe. Smaller cities seem to be the big supporters of pro women's hoops across the pond.

What Europe has, however, is the extensive train and transit systems that blanket the various countries, not to mention geographic footprints small enough that travel costs aren't as much of a problem. In North America, that's a major problem, so it's not as cost effective for the WNBA to try that. Even where it is tried, Mohegan isn't all that far away from NYC.

Return to “Women's Basketball”