The Rise and Fall and Rise of the XFL

Fran
Site Admin

The Rise and Fall and Rise of the XFL

Post by Fran » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Now the XFL had potential - thought the product on the field got better. I covered the league in 2001 doing a weekly column plus interviews with Orlando Rage QB Jeff Brohm and XFL Vice President of Football Operations Mike Keller

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rise-an ... 1484233793

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:23 pm

[quote=""Fran""]Now the XFL had potential - thought the product on the field got better. I covered the league in 2001 doing a weekly column plus interviews with Orlando Rage QB Jeff Brohm and XFL Vice President of Football Operations Mike Keller

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rise-an ... 1484233793[/quote]

I want to read this but it's saying subscribers only - at least on my tablet

Anyway one thing is clear - in the absence of a contract with the NFL NBC was more willing to try alternatives including the XFL.

>>NBC's attempts to replace the NFL with other professional football, including the XFL in 2001 and the Arena Football League coverage from 2003 to 2006, proved to be very unsuccessful. Like CBS before it, NBC would later decide that not having NFL rights did too much damage to its overall ratings to justify foregoing the high rights fees required.

In 2005, NBC re-entered the NFL picture during negotiations for television contracts. The network was able to take advantage of a league desire to be able to switch the schedule so non-competitive games would not air in the league's marquee timeslot. Since this would require a move to Sunday night in order for this to happen, and since ABC decided to relinquish their rights to Monday Night Football, NBC was able to bid on the Sunday Night Football package and won the rights after ESPN (corporate sibling to ABC and which had previously held those rights) elected to take over the Monday Night Football rights instead.[15] NBC resumed airing NFL football on August 6, 2006, with coverage of the annual AFC-NFC Hall of Fame Game.<<

This unfortunately creates a defacto cartel between the 4 broadcast nets and the NFL. Translation... if one net didn't have NFL FB they'd be way more open to alternatives.

Things have changed in the last 12 years...

4th
Last edited by 4th&long on Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4th&long
Site Admin

Post by 4th&long » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:15 am

[quote=""Fran""]Now the XFL had potential - thought the product on the field got better. I covered the league in 2001 doing a weekly column plus interviews with Orlando Rage QB Jeff Brohm and XFL Vice President of Football Operations Mike Keller

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-rise-an ... 1484233793[/quote]

Finally got to read this on my phone, good article. XFL was well funded, but didnt take the FB itself seriously enough.

In the absence of an NFL contract NBC was willing to look elsewhere. And this was before the proliferation of cable sports channels we have today, and internet streaming.

4th

Return to “General Football”