Cards Take Two From Charlotte in Opening Day Double Header
JUPITER, FL- The Palm Beach Cardinals defeated the Charlotte Stone Crabs in both games of tonight's Opening Day double-header at Roger Dean Stadium.
Taking the first game 3-1 (marking the first Opening Day win since 2009), the Cards scored all three of their runs in the first inning. Top prospect James Ramsey (2-3, 2B, 3B) led off the game, and his season, by ripping a double down the left field line. Shortly after, Cody Stanley (2-3, 3B, RBI), Jonathan Rodriguez (1-2, 2B, RBI) and Stephen Piscotty (1-3) were able to piece together three, two-out hits in a
row resulting in three Cardinals runs.
Starting pitcher Sam Gaviglio got his first win of the season as he displayed excellent command of thestrike zone. The 22-year-old right hander tossed five innings of three hit baseball, giving up only one run. He fanned five Charlotte batters and managed to walk none as he displayed a deceptive curveball and great command of his fastball.
Relief pitcher Jonathan Cornelius notched the first save of the season, throwing two innings, giving up one hit and striking out three.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 5, 2013
- Cards Take Two From Charlotte in Opening Day Double Header - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Brevard Blanked in Home Opener - Brevard County Manatees
- Knudson, Vargas Homer in 4-1 Win over Bradenton - Fort Myers Miracle
- Pirates Charities Presents Gift To Boys And Girls Clubs - Bradenton Marauders
- Threshers Drop Opening Day Tilt 4-2 - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.