Cards Take Two From Charlotte in Opening Day Double Header
JUPITER, FL- The Palm Beach Cardinals defeated the Charlotte Stone Crabs in both games of tonight's Opening Day double-header at Roger Dean Stadium.
Taking the first game 3-1 (marking the first Opening Day win since 2009), the Cards scored all three of their runs in the first inning. Top prospect James Ramsey (2-3, 2B, 3B) led off the game, and his season, by ripping a double down the left field line. Shortly after, Cody Stanley (2-3, 3B, RBI), Jonathan Rodriguez (1-2, 2B, RBI) and Stephen Piscotty (1-3) were able to piece together three, two-out hits in a
row resulting in three Cardinals runs.
Starting pitcher Sam Gaviglio got his first win of the season as he displayed excellent command of thestrike zone. The 22-year-old right hander tossed five innings of three hit baseball, giving up only one run. He fanned five Charlotte batters and managed to walk none as he displayed a deceptive curveball and great command of his fastball.
Relief pitcher Jonathan Cornelius notched the first save of the season, throwing two innings, giving up one hit and striking out three.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 5, 2013
- Cards Take Two From Charlotte in Opening Day Double Header - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Brevard Blanked in Home Opener - Brevard County Manatees
- Knudson, Vargas Homer in 4-1 Win over Bradenton - Fort Myers Miracle
- Pirates Charities Presents Gift To Boys And Girls Clubs - Bradenton Marauders
- Threshers Drop Opening Day Tilt 4-2 - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Palm Beach Cardinals Stories
- Palm Beach Cardinals Begin Push for Back-to-Back Florida State League Championships
- Rick Ankiel to Throw out Ceremonial First Pitch at Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium on Tuesday, August 14th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium August & September Promotional Schedule
- Homage to the Beard Night Tuesday, June 26th
- Roger Dean Chevrolet Stadium to Host 2019 Florida State League All-Star Game