Edmonton Rush Make History With Awards TrifectaMarch 6, 2013 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) Edmonton Rush
Mark Matthews has been named NLL Rookie of the Week for his outstanding play in Edmonton's 18 - 13 win over arch-rival Calgary last Saturday. The first year sensation picked up three goals, one assist and two loose balls (3G,1A,2LB). Yesterday, Matthews was named NLL Rookie of the Month, the second consecutive month he's accomplished that feat.
Forward Ryan Ward has been named NLL Offensive Player of the Week after setting the franchise record of ten points in a game with two goals, eight assists and one loose ball (2G,8A,1LB)
For the first time this season, a defensive member of the team has been recognized with NLL honours. Named NLL Defensive Player of the Week, Kyle Rubisch was instrumental in the win over Calgary with one goal, one assist, eleven loose balls and four forced turnovers (1G, 1A, 11LB, 4 FO)
The awards are richly deserved after the Rush snapped a 12-game regular season losing streak to the Roughnecks. The win pushed the Rush to the :500 mark with a 5-5 record.
The Rush have a weekend bye and return to action with the next three games on the road with the first game returning to Rochester, Saturday, March 16 since Champions Cup last May 2012.
NLL Notes: The National Lacrosse League trade deadline is set for Wednesday March 13th, 5pm ET. NLL Clubs are required to submit final rosters to the League by Friday March 15th, 5pm ET.
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 6, 2013
- Philadelphia Wings Put Three-Game Winning Streak on Line - Philadelphia Wings
- Thorimbert Named NLL 'Transition Player of the Week' - Buffalo Bandits
- Edmonton Rush Make History With Awards Trifecta - Edmonton Rush
- Ward, Thorimbert, Rubisch, Matthews Honored - NLL
- Upstate Indoor Lacrosse Sweeps Championships - Rochester Knighthawks
- Bandits to Host 'Scout Night' on March 9 - Buffalo Bandits
- Minnesota Swarm Looking to Get Back on Track in Calgary - Minnesota Swarm
- Roger Vyse Signed to Active Roster - Toronto Rock
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.