MLS SuperDraft to Reach a Global Audience Through New, Innovative Distribution PlanJanuary 11, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
The SuperDraft will take place on Thursday, January 17 at the Indiana Convention Center in Indianapolis, Ind., in conjunction with the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Convention. Starting at Noon ET, the first overall selection will be broadcast live on ESPN SportsCenter.
Fans of MLS and its 19 clubs will be able to watch the entire draft live on ESPN3, ESPNFC, MLSsoccer.com, MLS club websites and YouTube. Additional online media outlets may be added to the list of broadcast partners in the coming days.
"We are taking a more progressive and fan-centric approach to how we're distributing and producing the 2013 MLS SuperDraft," said MLS Chief Marketing Officer Howard Handler. "We have a young, diverse, digitally active fan base who will watch from home, from the office, from coffee shops, or just about anywhere. Soccer is a worldwide sport and this new initiative also allows us to continue catering to MLS fans across the globe."
"We looked at the numbers from last year and draft day is the busiest day of the year for MLSsoccer.com. We thought this would be the right opportunity to step out, innovate, and do something more forward-looking."
The HD broadcast will feature ESPN soccer commentators Alexi Lalas and Taylor Twellman, who will provide the thorough analysis that MLS fans have come to expect. They will be joined by members of the MLSsoccer.com editorial team and other guests.
The 2013 MLS SuperDraft will include two rounds and 38 overall selections. The first nine selections are currently held by clubs that did not qualify for the 2012 MLS Cup Playoffs, in reverse order of regular season finish. The remaining 10 positions currently belong to clubs that were eliminated in the same round of the 2012 MLS Cup Playoffs, in reverse order of regular season finish.
Major League Soccer Stories from January 11, 2013
- Generation adidas Players and Signed Seniors Shine in Combine Game Day One - MLS
- Chivas USA Academy Products Selected to US U-17 MNT Residency Roster - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Oscar Sorto and Jose Villarreal called into U.S. Under-20 National Team - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo Youth Programs Resume 8v8 Champions League - Houston Dynamo
- MLS SuperDraft to Reach a Global Audience Through New, Innovative Distribution Plan - MLS
- Rapids Midfielder Shane O'Neill Called in for U.S. U-20 Camp - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Goalkeeper Jon Kempin Selected to U.S. Under-20 National Team - Sporting Kansas City
- Pat Noonan Named Galaxy Assistant Coach - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC Signs First Homegrown Player - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Add Experienced Centre Back Brad Rusin - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Red Bulls Reveal 2013 Preseason Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Houston Dynamo, Gow Media Enter Multiyear Radio Partnership - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.