Pittsburgh Power Assigned AFL Interception Leader & 1st Team All-AFL LinebackerNovember 27, 2012 - Arena Football League (AFL) Pittsburgh Power
"Alvin Ray makes any defense he plays in better," remarked Power Head Coach Derek Stingley. "My defense is his defense; it's the defense where Alvin Ray cut his teeth in. He knows all the checks, he understands all the situations like down and distance, field awareness, time, and personnel. It will be like having another defensive coach on the field."
Jackson played collegiately at Albany (GA) State University, starring on the offensive side of the football. He was twice named 2nd Team All-SIAC as a wide receiver. However, in Pittsburgh, Jackson will bolster an already strong defensive unit, as the Power led the AFL in total defense in 2012, allowing just 245 yards per game.
Stingley also noted how important Jackson's presence will be in the turnover battle and to have an immediate impact. "He's a playmaker, his instincts are almost always spot on. We feel confident he'll have double-digit takeaways for us," said Stingley. The Power intercepted 17 total passes in 2012, while Jackson led the AFL with 14 individually.
Jackson is the 21st player to be assigned to the Power this offseason. The team will take 35 players to training camp in the spring. All roster updates can be found at www.pittsburghpowerfootball.com/team/roster.
Arena Football League Stories from November 27, 2012
- Blaze Assigned Former Titans Pass Protector - Utah Blaze
- AFL Lineman of the Year and Key Veteran Players Join San Antonio Talons - San Antonio Talons
- Philadelphia Soul to Host 7-On-7 Youth Tournament - Philadelphia Soul
- Pittsburgh Power Assigned AFL Interception Leader & 1st Team All-AFL Linebacker - Pittsburgh Power
- Storm Solidify Coaching Staff - Tampa Bay Storm
- Two More Barnstormers Returning for 2013 - Iowa Barnstormers
- VooDoo Adds DL Prentice Purnell - New Orleans VooDoo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.