Tiger Hurler Scherzer Headlines AA Alums in MajorsOctober 24, 2012 - American Association (AA)
Now in his fifth season in the big leagues, Scherzer also had a superb regular season for Detroit, going 16-7 with a 3.74 ERA, while fanning 231 hitters in 187.1 innings pitched. The St. Louis native pitched for Fort Worth in 2007 before being signed by the Arizona Diamondbacks organization during the season.
Scherzer was one of seven former American Association players in the major leagues in 2012. The others include:
- RHP Aaron Crow, Kansas City (Fort Worth 2008-09): In his second year in the majors, Crow was a valuable member of the Royals' bullpen, going 3-1 with a 3.48 ERA in 73 appearances, second-most on the team. Crow also limited opposing hitters to a .231 average.
- RHP Dane de la Rosa, Tampa Bay (El Paso 2009): De la Rosa pitched in one game for the Rays in April, and later received a September callup, appearing in four more games. He also had two stints with Tampa Bay in 2011.
- RHP Luke Hochevar, Kansas City (Fort Worth 2006): Now in his sixth season with the Royals, Hochevar continues to be a stalwart on the Kansas City starting rotation. He was second on the team with 32 starts in 2012, going 8-16 with a 5.73 ERA.
- RHP Brandon Kintzler, Milwaukee (St. Paul 2009): Kintzler appeared in 14 games out of the Brewers' bullpen, assembling a 3-0 record with a 3.78 ERA. It was Kintzler's third season in the bigs with Milwaukee.
- C Eddy Rodriguez, San Diego (El Paso 2009, Sioux Falls 2010): Rodriguez made his major-league debut with the Padres in August 2012, and homered in his first major-league at-bat off of Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto.
- RHP Tanner Scheppers, Texas (St. Paul 2009): Scheppers was solid out of the bullpen for the Rangers in his first major-league season, appearing in 39 games with a 1-1 record and a 4.45 ERA, and striking out 30 hitters in 32.1 innings of work.
The American Association begins its eighth season of play in May of 2013, as the Winnipeg Goldeyes look to defend their first AA championship.
American Association Stories from October 24, 2012
- Tiger Hurler Scherzer Headlines AA Alums in Majors - AA
- T-Bones Renew Hook's Contract - Kansas City T-Bones
- Nicklas Foundation to Host Donate Life Classic Car Show - Grand Prairie AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.