2012 Western Divisional Champs Announce 2013 Game ScheduleSeptember 4, 2012 - National Lacrosse League (NLL) Edmonton Rush
The game will not only mark the raising of the Rush's divisional title banner from last season, but also the first of five Sunday games - two at Rexall Place - for Edmonton during the '13 season. All three of the Rush's victories against the Rock have come at home although Toronto defeated Edmonton at Rexall Place in the Rush's regular-season finale in 2012.
The Rush's other Sunday home-floor matchup is a key one coming during the late regular-season playoff drive when the Rochester Knighthawks come to Edmonton for a rematch of the 2012 Champion's Cup final. After a surprising playoff run last spring, the Rush were beaten in the NLL title game by the Knighthawks who claimed their fourth Champion's Cup crown.
"In a nine-team league and 16 games, there is really no hiding from anyone," said Rush GM/Head Coach Derek Keenan. "There are no easy games - home or away. I like that we have a few home games off the start of the season and then finish with three at home."
Edmonton will also be visiting Rochester during a five-game road trip - the longest in club history. With Rexall Place hosting the Brier curling championship, the Rush's lengthy trip, which begins Feb. 24 in Minnesota and ends Mar. 24 in Toronto, includes the Rush's first-ever game in Buffalo and one of four season matchups against the rival Calgary Roughnecks.
"It's a tough middle part of the schedule but when and where you play the games typically doesn't matter as much in the NLL anymore." added Keenan.
The Rush meet the Roughnecks on back-to-back weekends in early February and then host Calgary in the regular-season finale on April 20. The Roughnecks swept the Rush in four regular-season meetings last year, but the Rush beat the Roughnecks for the second time in franchise history when it came to the Champion's Cup playoffs.
The Rush's tremendous playoff run from last spring began with a divisional semifinal victory over the Roughnecks and continued with a blowout victory over Minnesota in the West Division final. The Rush and Swarm will renew acquaintances with a home-and-home series in mid-February including a Sunday afternoon tilt at the Xcel Energy Center.
Edmonton plays three back-to-back game weekend series during the 2013 season led off by a Friday night home game on Feb. 15 against Washington followed the next night by a clash in Denver against the Colorado Mammoth. Eleven of the Rush's 16 regular-season games will be matchups against division rivals including three against the Stealth and a pair versus the Mammoth.
The Rush finished the 2012 regular season with a 6-10 record, finishing fourth in the West Division. Edmonton sported a 4-7 mark against divisional foes and went 2-3 against East Division opponents. Edmonton earned home-floor victories over Washington, Philadelphia, and Buffalo along with an overtime verdict against Minnesota. The Rush picked up road victories in Washington and Colorado.
The 2013 NLL Playoffs begin on the weekend of April 26-28. The playoff format remains unchanged, with eight teams advancing in a single-elimination format. The Divisional Semifinals will be played on the weekend of April 26-28. The Divisional Finals will take place on the weekend of May 3-5. The Championship Game is scheduled to take place on the weekend of May 10-12.
EDMONTON RUSH 2013 SCHEDULE
Date Opponent Start Time (MT)
* Sunday, Jan. 13 vs. Toronto 2:00
* Sunday, Jan. 20 at Washington 6:00
* Friday, Jan. 25 vs. Washington 7:00
* Saturday, Feb. 2 vs. Calgary 7:00
* Saturday, Feb. 9 at Calgary 7:00
* Friday, Feb. 15 vs. Washington 7:00
* Saturday, Feb. 16 at Colorado 7:00
* Friday, Feb. 22 vs. Minnesota 7:00
* Sunday, Feb. 24 at Minnesota 2:00
* Saturday, Mar. 2 at Calgary 7:00
* Saturday, Mar. 16 at Rochester 5:30
* Saturday, Mar. 23 at Buffalo 5:30
* Sunday, Mar. 24 at Toronto 1:00
* Saturday, Apr. 6 vs. Colorado 7:00
* Sunday, Apr. 14 vs. Rochester 2:00
* Saturday, Apr. 20 vs. Calgary 7:00
The National Lacrosse League will host the 2012 Draft on Monday, October 1 in Toronto at the Westin Harbour Castle. The draft starts at 7pm Eastern (5pm MST) and will be broadcast live on The NLL Network at NLL.com. The Edmonton Rush currently hold the first overall selection in the Draft. The current order of selection for the six round draft is listed below. Attendance is free of charge.
The 2012 Entry Draft is a historical mark for the Rush as it is the first time for the franchise to hold the first overall selection in the draft
"This is an important draft for the Edmonton Rush, this draft gives us more opportunity to add to our young and talented foundation." states General Manager and Head Coach Derek Keenan
" It is another draft deep with skill and athleticism at all positions. We look forward to it."
The 2012 draft order, as of August 13. The order is subject to change pending trades of selections among the clubs.
1. Edmonton (from Washington)
2. Minnesota (from Buffalo)
3. Minnesota (from Philadelphia via Edmonton via Buffalo)
5. Buffalo (from Toronto via Minnesota)
6. Calgary (from Colorado via Rochester)
9. Colorado (from Rochester)
10. Minnesota (from Boston)
12. Washington (from Buffalo)
13. Buffalo (from Philadelphia via Rochester)
14. Toronto (from Minnesota via Buffalo)
15. Edmonton (from Toronto)
16. Buffalo (from Colorado via Toronto via Edmonton)
18. Buffalo (from Edmonton via Minnesota)
19. Washington (from Rochester via Edmonton)
20. Toronto (from Boston)
26. Rochester (from Colorado)
27. Toronto (from Calgary)
35. Minnesota (from Colorado)
49. Calgary (from Buffalo)
50. Calgary (from Philadelphia)
(End of Draft)
NATIONAL LACROSSE LEAGUE COMBINE PROSPECTS TO BE TESTED IN STRENGTH, SPEED & AGILITY
In conjunction with the draft, a player combine for draft prospects & free agents will be held on Sunday, September 30 at the new Toronto Rock Headquarters & Training Facility in Oakville, Ontario.
Data from tests to assist teams in talent evaluation for the 2012 Draft; Prospects & Non-Roster Free Agents must register by September 17th to take part in Draft Combine on September 30th
The National Lacrosse League has announced details relating to the NLL Draft Player Combine, taking place on September 30 in Oakville, Ontario at the Toronto Rock Training & Practice Facility. The combine is open to all draft prospects & non-roster free agents, and takes place prior to the 2012 NLL Draft on October 1 in Toronto.
All players who participate in the combine will be subject to a series of tests that will evaluate their endurance, reaction times, strength, agility, speed, and lacrosse related skills. Players will also have the opportunity to showcase their skills in a practice setting through structured games and involved in an interview process with NLL General Managers and Coaches. The player's cost for the combine is $100 and is payable online via the following link: http://www.sporttesting.com/events.php.
The deadline for signups is September 17th or until the combine is filled. The testing will be conducted by Sport Testing Inc., a provider of athlete assessment technologies and services. The combine will be a day-long event, with registration starting at 8am.
Edmonton Rush Season tickets for the 2013 season are now available by calling the Rush Office at (780) 732-RUSH.
National Lacrosse League Stories from September 4, 2012
- Knighthawks to Open Title Defense in Washington - Rochester Knighthawks
- Washington Stealth Releases 2013 Regular Season Schedule - Washington Stealth
- 2013 Bandits Schedule Announced - Buffalo Bandits
- 2012 Western Divisional Champs Announce 2013 Game Schedule - Edmonton Rush
- Mammoth Releases 2013 Schedule - Colorado Mammoth
- Minnesota Swarm Announce 2013 Regular Season Schedule - Minnesota Swarm
- 2013 Toronto Rock Schedule Released - Toronto Rock
- Philadelphia Wings to Open NLL Season at Home against Buffalo January 11 - Philadelphia Wings
- Roughnecks Announce 2013 Regular Season Schedule - Calgary Roughnecks
- National Lacrosse League Announces 2013 Schedule - NLL
- Henhawk Leads Saints to Silver - Rochester Knighthawks
- NLL Combine Prospects to be Tested in Strength, Speed & Agility - Toronto Rock
- Mammoth Signs Three to One-Year Deals - Colorado Mammoth
- Signups Now Open for NLL Draft Combine on September 30th - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.