Tigers Take Series against CyclonesJuly 13, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Connecticut Tigers
RHP Edgar De La Rosa pitched five innings and allowed one earned run on five hits to earn the victory.
The Tigers' relievers accumulated16 straight scoreless innings over the past four games. RHP Angel Nesbit (2 IP), RHP Eric Heckaman (1 IP) and RHP Will Clinard (1 IP) finished off the victory. Clinard earned his first save of the season, striking out two batters in the ninth inning.
The Tigers scored five runs in the third inning. RF Patrick Smith (1-2) led off the inning with a double and C Bennett Pickar (0-2) reached base on a walk, followed by a bases-clearing double by CF Jake Stewart (2-4) to give the Tigers a 2-0 lead. A shot to right field by LF Danry Vasquez (1-4) scored Stewart from third base. Back-to-back singles by 1B Juaner Aguasvivas (1-3) and 2B Devon Travis (2-3) led to two more runs, giving the Tigers a dominating 5-0 lead.
The Cyclones got on the scoreboard in the fifth inning, scoring one run on a line-drive single to center field by 2B Juan Gamboa (1-3). An error by Tigers CF Jake Stewart allowed Brooklyn RF Jonathan Clark (1-3) to score on the play, narrowing Connecticut's lead to 5-2.
The Tigers begin a three-game series against the Auburn Doubledays on Saturday night at Dodd Stadium at 7:05 pm. The first 1,000 fans in attendance at Saturday's game will receive a Connecticut Tigers aluminum sports bottle, sponsored by AT&T Yellow Pages. Two right-hand pitchers are facing off, with Taylor Jordan (0-1, 4.82 ERA) taking the mound for Auburn and Endrys Briceno (0-2, 9.72 ERA) for the Tigers. Pre-game radio coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on AM 1310 WICH and online atwww.cttigers.com.
The Connecticut Tigers are the Class-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers and play in the New York-Penn League. The Tigers saw a 23% increase in attendance in 2011, (the 4th highest in Minor League Baseball), and are in their 3rd season at Dodd Stadium. Tickets are now on sale! The Box Office is open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. In addition, tickets can be purchased over the phone at (860) 887-7962. For more information go online to cttigers.com.
New York-Penn League Stories from July 13, 2012
- Stallings, Spikes Catch Fire in 11-2 Rout of Yankees - State College Spikes
- Doubledays Crush IronBirds 10-0, Sweep Series - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Jamestown Holds On For 6-5 Win Friday To Complete 3-Game Sweep - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Tigers Take Series against Cyclones - Connecticut Tigers
- State College Spikes Game Notes - July 13 vs. Staten Island - State College Spikes
- Rays Sign First-Round Draft Pick Richie Shaffer - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Tigers Announce Wonderful Surprise for Tonight's Game - Connecticut Tigers
- Doubledays Win Third Straight on Road, 6-3 - Auburn Doubledays
- Bats quiet in home loss - Williamsport Crosscutters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.