Real Salt Lake Match Preview at San Jose EarthquakesJuly 13, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Real Salt Lake
Saturday's kickoff from Buck Shaw Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif., is set for 8:30 p.m. MT, with television coverage of the "Best in the West" showdown on ABC4 preceded by a 30-minute pregame show beginning at 8:00 p.m. Fans will also be able to listen to the action live via the team's official radio partners: ESPN 700/ESPN700Sports.com and La Gran D 102.3 FM.
RSL concluded their four-game winless streak Saturday against the Portland Timbers, with FW ï¿½lvaro SaborÃ-o recording the second MLS hat trick in RSL history to defeat the Timbers 3-0 at Rio Tinto Stadium. SaborÃ-o now leads RSL with 10 goals this season, placing him in 3rd in the league in goals scored, just two spots behind San Jose striker Chris Wondolowski who leads MLS with 14 goals.
On the subject of strikers, the Claret-and-Cobalt's offense recently gained the support of FW Justin Braun, a Salt Lake City native who was acquired in a trade with Montreal on Wednesday. Braun - who will be available for selection on Saturday - has a successful history against the Quakes, scoring four goals in eight career games against San Jose.
How to Follow Real Salt Lake @ San Jose Earthquakes
Kickoff : 8:30 p.m. MT from Buck Shaw Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. TV : LIVE on ABC4 with Rob Stone & Brian Dunseth (RAM Trucks pre-game coverage at 8:00 p.m. MT) English Radio : ESPN700/ESPN700Sports.com (pre-game coverage at 7:30 p.m.) Spanish Radio : La Gran D 102.3 FM/ Juan 1600 AM with Nelson Moran & Fernando Hortal Online : Live updates via the @RealSaltLake Twitter Feed and MLSsoccer.com MatchCenter
RSL History v. 'Quakes
RSL has lost twice this year to San Jose, first falling 1-3 on April 21 at Buck Shaw Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif. RSL FW Fabian EspÃ-ndola and DF Jamison Olave both receive red cards in that match, with Espindola getting ejected in the first half before Olave was sent off in the second. Nine-man RSL was unable to make Captain Kyle Beckerman's short-handed equalizer stand up, dropping all three points after giving up a pair of second half stoppage-time goals. The sides' second encounter on June 23 saw San Jose emerge victorious at Rio Tinto Stadium; withstanding a scintillating free kick goal by RSL MF Javier Morales as well as an onslaught of RSL attacks before emerging 2-1 winners on goals by Alan Gordon and Chris Wondolowski.
Real Salt Lake enters Saturday's match with a 5-5-5 all-time record against San Jose (15 meetings), and a 3-2-0 all-time mark at Buck Shaw Stadium.
Last year, RSL posted two wins versus San Jose. The first came on March 19 on the campus of Santa Clara University, with the Utah side using a Kyle Beckerman goal and a heroic effort by goalkeeper Nick Rimando in monsoon-like conditions to post a 1-0 triumph. RSL also emerged victorious from last year's home leg on July 23, riding an ï¿½lvaro SaborÃ-o brace to a 4-0 win, with all four tallies in the annual Pioneer Day celebration game coming in the second half.
Major League Soccer Stories from July 13, 2012
- Earthquakes to Defend Western Conference Lead vs. Real Salt Lake on Saturday - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Academy Midfielder Dillon Serna Named to U.S. U-20 Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Former NASL Sounder Legend Roger Davies to Receive Golden Scarf - Seattle Sounders FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Jamaican International Richards and Allocation Money from Red Bulls for Le Toux - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- First Place Sporting KC Visits Columbus Crew on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Levesque to Retire Following Chelsea Match - Seattle Sounders FC
- Houston Dynamo Game Notes - July 15 vs. D.C. United - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Launch New Food Cart Alliance Program - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview at San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- Rapids Acquire Tyson Wahl in Trade with Montreal - Colorado Rapids
- Impact Acquires International Roster Spot from Colorado for Defender Tyson Wahl - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC Trade de Guzman to FC Dallas - Toronto FC
- D.C. United Trio Loaned out for Weekend Matches - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.