Lookouts Even Series with StarsJuly 6, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
For the first time in five games, the Stars got the scoring started first. In the first inning, second baseman Scooter Gennett drew a walk to get on base. He advanced on a single by Hunter Morris and eventually scored on an error by Chattanooga's Luis Nunez.
Unfortunately for Huntsville, their offense was shut down from that point on by Lookouts' starting pitcher Matt Magill. Magill retired the last 16 batters he faced, improving to 6-4 on the year after giving up just one run and one hit through six innings of work.
For Magill, Chattanooga gave him solid run support in the form of five runs. In the third inning, the Lookouts tied up the game on a RBI triple by center fielder Nick Buss off of Stars starter Brian Baker. A RBI single by second baseman Rafael Ynoa made the score 2-1, giving the Lookouts the lead for good. After Baker was replaced by reliever Philippe Valiquette, Chattanooga tacked on three runs in the seventh inning. A pinch-hit, two-run double by J.T Wise and n RBI groundout gave the Lookouts a 5-1 lead.
On offense, the Stars made the game interesting in the eighth inning against Lookouts' reliever Chris Withrow. Back-to-back singles by pinch-hitter Domnit Bolivar and center fielder Josh Prince finally gave the Stars a runner in scoring position. Gennett hit a RBI ground out and Morris knocked a RBI single to pull the Stars within two.
Unfortunately, once closer Stephen Ames replaced Withrow with two outs in the eighth inning, he retired the last four batters he faced for his ninth save of the season.
Pitching wise, Baker took the loss in his first outing on the season with the Stars, falling to 0-1 after giving up four runs (three earned) on six hits in six innings of work. Baker also struck out five.
The Stars and Lookouts will play the deciding game of their three-game series at Joe Davis Stadium on Friday. First pitch is at 6:43 PM.
Southern League Stories from July 6, 2012
- Lee Extends Hitting-Streak in Blowout Win - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Split Doubleheader with Suns Friday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- Blue Wahoos Welcome 200,000th Fan to Pensacola Bayfront Stadium - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Special Appearance and Giveaway Scheduled at Smokies Park - Tennessee Smokies
- Media Release - Meet & Greet with Bob Brenly at Smokies Park Monday - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Barons to Auction off Game-Worn Military Themed Jerseys - Birmingham Barons
- Hunter Morris Named Topps Southern League Player of the Month for June - SL
- Inside the Blue Wahoos Airing Now on 1450 ESPN - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Suns Among Top 12 Attendance July 3rd-4th - Jacksonville Suns
- BayBears Come Back with Two in Ninth for 6-5 Win - Mobile BayBears
- Lookouts Even Series with Stars - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.