San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the MonthMay 2, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
Wondolowski recorded four goals and two assists over four matches in April. With a record of 3-0-1 in April, the Earthquakes are currently in first place in the West and are riding a six-match unbeaten streak (6-1-1).
Across MLS, Wondolowski has scored the second most goals this season (eight goals) just one behind New York Red Bulls' Thierry Henry (nine goals) in the 2012 Budweiser Golden Boot race.
The 29-year old opened his scoring account for the month with a two-goal performance on April 7 in San Jose's 3-1 road victory over Vancouver Whitecaps FC. Wondolowski continued his scoring streak into his club's next two matches, scoring a goal in a 2-2 draw against the New York Red Bulls on April 14 and one in a 3-1 win versus Real Salt Lake on April 21.
Wondolowski has scored in six of eight matches this year and in 13 of his last 17, a streak extending back to the 2011 season.
Wondolowski narrowly edged out Sporting Kansas City defender Aurélien Collin for the honor by a count of eight votes to seven. Henry, Houston Dynamo's Will Bruin, and D.C. United's Maicon Santos tied for third place among voters, with two votes apiece.
The MLS Player of the Month is selected after each calendar month of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information can be found at http://www.soccerreporters.com/.
Major League Soccer Stories from May 2, 2012
- The Impact Ties Toronto FC 0-0 - Montreal Impact
- Timbers Announce Strategic Partnerships with Portland Rain, Girls ODP Program - Portland Timbers
- JELD-WEN Field, AECOM Receive Merit Award for Excellence in Architecture - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Chivas USA vs. Chicago Fire - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Chicago Fire Player Development Update - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Month - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
- United Drives to Collect Games and Toys During May - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Reserves Draw Sporting Kc Reserves 2-2 - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.