Colome, Stone Crabs Blank Cubs, 7-0May 31, 2011 - Florida State League (FSL) - Charlotte Stone Crabs
Daytona was shut-out for the first time this season on Tuesday as Colome and a pair of relievers combined for a three-hitter in Charlotte's 7-0 victory.
Colome (2-4) showed no ill effects from his last start in Dunedin, an outing in which he surrendered eight runs and was unable to escape the second inning. Unlike that night, the righty was in control of the Cubs from the outset. Colome earned the victory by allowing just three hits and three walks while striking out five men over seven innings.
Charlotte's offense got to Daytona starter Dae-Eun Rhee (1-1) in the bottom of the fifth. Rhee had been matching Colome through the first four innings, but four consecutive Charlotte singles stoked the flames. Anthony Scelfo's single and Hak-Ju Lee's ground-out provided a pair of runs in the inning, while another came across on a botched pick-off play at third base.
Those three runs spelled the end of the day for Rhee, who lasted just 4 2/3 innings and was charged with four earned runs. Reliever Brent Ebinger replaced Rhee, but allowed run-scoring hits to both Brett Nommensen and Greg Sexton, giving the Stone Crabs a 5-0 advantage.
Sexton finished the night 1-for-3 and drove home a pair of runs, moving him within one of the Florida State League RBI leader, Justin Bour of Daytona.
The Stone Crabs added two more runs in the seventh inning. Nommensen drew a walk with the bases loaded to plate the first one, while Mike Sheridan's sacrifice fly expanded the Charlotte lead to 7-0.
Lefty relievers Matt Stabelfeld and Michael Jarman handled the eighth and ninth innings respectively. Both men threw perfect frames to put the finishing touches on Charlotte's fifth shut-out of the season.
Daytona's 12-game winning streak was the longest in the FSL this season. It began on May 18th against the Palm Beach Cardinals and was comprised of three four-game sweeps of South Division foes. The Cardinals, St. Lucie Mets and Bradenton Marauders all fell prey to the Cubs over that stretch.
This series continues on Wednesday as Charlotte looks for back-to-back wins over Daytona. Righty Drew Leary (0-4) is scheduled to take the mound against Jeff Lorrick (3-1) of the Cubs. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m.
Florida State League Stories from May 31, 2011
- Colome, Stone Crabs Blank Cubs, 7-0 - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Jupiter Bats Can't Back James in 2-0 Loss - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Marauders' McPherson Has No-Hit Bid Foiled in Ninth - Bradenton Marauders
- Joe Kelly Takes No-Hitter into the Eighth in Second Straight Start - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Miracle Drop Series Opener in Lakeland, 13-2 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Florida State League Names Players of the Week - FSL
- Mararauders Homestand Includes Buyout Night and Chance to Win Journey Tickets - Bradenton Marauders
- Miracle Announce "Rest the Vest" Night - Fort Myers Miracle
- Flying Tigers Begin Five-Game Homestand Today at Joker Marchant Stadium - Lakeland Flying Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.