Los Angeles Dodgers Purchase Contract of RHP Jerome Williams From Long Beach ArmadaJune 24, 2008 - Golden Baseball League (GBL) - Long Beach Armada
"Jerome is a major league pitcher and has been pitching like one," said Long Beach Armada Manager Steve Yeager. "I'm exited to see him with the Dodgers and look forward to him helping their organization."
Off to a 3-2 start for the Armada and having struck out 28 batters and walked only 8, Williams was getting attention from a number of major league teams. He impressed the Dodgers in his start over the weekend in Long Beach and L.A. moved quickly to get him into their organization acquiring him today and signing him to a minor league contract.
Williams, 26, was a first round draft pick by the San Francisco Giants in the 1999 amateur draft out of Waipahu High School in Honolulu, Hawaii. In his senior year in high school, Williams went 8-1 with a microscopic 0.12 E.R.A. striking out 123 batters and walking only 9 in 54 innings. As a teenage, Williams rose quickly through the Giants organization. In 2001, Williams was ranked the #1 prospect in the Giants farm system by Baseball America. That year, Williams pitched for the U.S. in the Futures Games as well. The youngest pitcher in the 2002 Pacific Coast League, Williams finished 8th in the PCL with a 3.59 E.R.A. He made his major league debut in 2003 while flling in for injured Jason Schmidt.
Williams is the 12th GBL player to be purchased by a major league organization in 2008.
Golden Baseball League Stories from June 24, 2008
- Colorado Rockies Purchase Contract of INF James Guerrero from Long Beach Armada - Long Beach Armada
- Vipers roll to victory - Calgary Vipers
- Scorpions Return Home on Friday - Yuma Scorpions
- Silver Sox Need Three More Contestants - Reno Silver Sox
- Derrick Loop Signed by the Red Sox - GBL
- Flyers Win Series Opener, Edge Outlaws 5-3 - Chico Outlaws
- Milwaukee Brewers Purchase Contract of LHP Troy Cate from Orange County Flyers - Orange County Flyers
- Los Angeles Dodgers Purchase Contract of RHP Jerome Williams From Long Beach Armada - Long Beach Armada
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.