Revolution Acquires Pat Phelan from Toronto FCJune 4, 2008 - Major League Soccer (MLS) New England Revolution
Phelan, 23, was originally selected by Toronto in the first round (10th overall) of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft out of Wake Forest University. He did not make a first-team appearance with Toronto this season, but did start three MLS reserve-division matches with TFC.
"We are pleased to be able to add Pat to our squad," Revolution Director of Soccer Michael Burns said. "We followed his career closely at Wake Forest and we're looking forward to him joining us."
The Enfield, Conn., product and Wilbraham and Monson Academy (Wilbraham, Mass.) graduate was a 2007 NSCAA First-Team All-American at Wake Forest and helped the Demon Deacons win the 2007 NCAA College Cup. In 2003, Phelan was the Gatorade National High School Player of the Year and NSCAA Massachusetts Player of the Year.
Phelan has played with the U.S. Under-17, Under-18 and Under-20 teams, and helped the U20s secure a berth in the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship in Holland. He also was called into the U.S. Under-23 camp in January 2008.
With the trade, the Revolution now have seven international roster spots and are currently utilizing five of them.
The Revolution (6-3-2, 20 pts.) returns to action Friday, June 6, when the team hosts FC Dallas at Gillette Stadium at 6:30 p.m. as part of a special soccer doubleheader that will also include a match between the national teams of Brazil and Venezuela. Comcast Sports Net will televise the MLS game live, while the WEEI Radio Network will also carry the game. More than 50,000 tickets have been sold for the special event, but tickets can still be purchased through the Revolution at revolutionsoccer.net or 1-877-GET-REVS or through Ticketmaster at 1-617-931-2222.
Pat Phelan Pronunciation: FAY-lin Jersey No.: TBA Position: Defense D.O.B.: January 16, 1985 Birthplace: Houston, Texas Hometown: Enfield, Conn. Height: 6-0 Weight: 175 College: Wake Forest Last Club: Toronto FC (MLS) Status: Senior How Acquired: Acquired by the Revolution on June 4, 2008 from Toronto FC in exchange for rights to an international roster spot through 2010.
TRANSACTIONS: The New England Revolution (MLS): Acquired D Pat Phelan from Toronto FC in exchange for roster considerations.
Major League Soccer Stories from June 4, 2008
- Rapids Fall on Penalties After 2-2 Tie with Kansas City - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids lose on penalties to KC - Colorado Rapids
- Tonight's D.C. United vs. Houston game postponed - D.C. United
- Major League Soccer Commissioner Issues Statement - MLS
- Red Bulls, MLS Agree to Transfer Fee with Villarreal for Jozy Altidore - New York Red Bulls
- Black & Gold return home to face San Jose - Columbus Crew SC
- Toronto FC Deals for International Roster Spot - Toronto FC
- Around the World Night - Chicago Fire
- Blanco Voted Player Of The Month For May - Chicago Fire
- Revolution Acquires Pat Phelan from Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Cuauhtémoc Blanco Voted MLS Player of the Month - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.