Three Biscuits Named to All-Star TeamJune 27, 2007 - Southern League (SL) - Montgomery Biscuits
Players were selected by a vote of Southern League managers, general managers, broadcasters and print media.
This will be Jaso's fourth All-Star Game in as many years. The 23-year-old California native served previously as a California League All-Star (2006), a Midwest League All-Star (2005) and a New York-Penn League All-Star (2004). He currently leads all Southern League catchers with a .324 batting average, six home runs and 38 RBIs.
Mason, 22, will make his first professional All-Star Game appearance. The right-hander out of North Carolina was the first Class-AA pitcher to 10 victories this season and leads the Southern League with a 2.59 earned run average while ranked second in innings pitched (94.0) and fourth in strikeouts (82). Earlier this season, he became the first hurler to receive Southern League Pitcher of the Week honors twice.
The 26-year-old Thayer led the Southern League in saves the past two seasons while pitching for the Mobile BayBears, and was named to the 2005 All-Star team. Thus far in 2007, he has recorded saves in 15 of 16 opportunities, tying for second-most in the league, while posting a 6-0 record and a 1.88 ERA.
In addition to the three Biscuits who will be attending the Southern League's mid-summer classic, third baseman Evan Longoria and outfielder Jason Pridie were also selected as All-Stars but will not participate. Longoria was selected to play in Major League Baseball's Futures Game on July 8 in San Francisco. Pridie currently plays for the Class-AAA Durham Bulls.
Southern League Stories from June 27, 2007
- BayBears Win Fourth Straight - Mobile BayBears
- Villa & Schreiber Batter Biscuits - Mississippi Braves
- Colvin Shines, Smokies Win in 11 - Tennessee Smokies
- Villa Evens Series with Biscuits - Mississippi Braves
- Smokies Squeeze By Carolina in 11th - Carolina Mudcats
- Suns Take Sloppy Wednesday Game in Birmingham - Jacksonville Suns
- Five BayBears Named All-Stars - Mobile BayBears
- Four Suns Headed to the Southern League All-Star Game - Jacksonville Suns
- Four Mudcats Named To All-Star Team - Carolina Mudcats
- Southern League Announces 2007 South Division All-Star Team - SL
- Three Biscuits Named to All-Star Team - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies Score Four To Southern League All Star Team - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits work Braves, 9-5 - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.