Calgary's Evans wins Player of the Month award, Edmonton's Matthews wins Rookie of the MonthJanuary 31, 2013 - National Lacrosse League (NLL)
Calgary Roughnecks forward Shawn Evans, the NLL's current scoring leader (31 points ) who ranks second in goals (13) and third in the league in assists (18), won the Player of the Month award. Edmonton Rush forward Mark Matthews, the first overall pick in the 2012 NLL Entry Draft who currently leads all rookies and is tied for seventh in league scoring (19 points), won the Rookie of the Month award.
Player of the Month
Shawn Evans, Calgary Roughnecks (4 GP, 13G, 18A, 22 LB): Evans recorded 31 points (13+18) and 22 loose balls, with a single-game high of 13 points (4+9) on Jan. 25 at Colorado, as Calgary posted a 2-2 record in the month of January.
Rookie of the Month
Mark Matthews, Edmonton Rush (4 GP, 8G, 11A, 4 LB): Matthews recorded 19 points (8+11) and four loose balls, with a single-game high of nine points (4+5) on Jan. 20 at Washington, as Edmonton posted a 1-2 record in the month of January.
The NLL Player Awards are determined by a vote of the league's general managers and head coaches.
National Lacrosse League Stories from January 31, 2013
- Toronto and Buffalo: Welcome to Nasty - Toronto Rock
- Rush Forward Matthews NLL Rookie of the Month - Edmonton Rush
- Mammoth Announces New Community Initiative - Colorado Mammoth
- Knighthawks To Host Tony Stewart Saturday - Rochester Knighthawks
- Calgary's Evans wins Player of the Month award, Edmonton's Matthews wins Rookie of the Month - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.