Yura Movsisyan's Four Goals Spur Real Salt Lake to 7-0 Exhibition Rout
SALT LAKE CITY (Friday, February 8, 2008) - FW Yura Movsisyan led an offensive onslaught for Real Salt Lake in its 2008 preseason exhibition debut Friday night, as the striker poured in four goals to lead Utah's MLS side to a 7-0 drubbing of the Ventura County Fusion of the USL Premier Development League (PDL) at Buena H.S. in Ventura, Calif. The 20-year-old Movsisyan accomplished the impressive feat in front of friends and family from his adopted hometown of Pasadena - located just an hour away from Ventura - and did so all in the game's second half. The four tallies by Movsisyan is an unofficial record for the most goals by an RSL player in any contest in the team's four-year history.
The match began with a familiar tone, as defending RSL Golden Boot holder FW Robbie Findley accepted a pass from rookie striker Tino Nunez - one of three products of nearby UC-Santa Barbara on RSL's roster - before slotting home towards the far left post from 10 yards out to give Salt Lake the lead just 13 minutes in. Argentine MF Javier Morales would double the advantage four minutes before halftime, finishing off a pass from newcomer DF Ian Joy to put RSL up 2-0 heading into the break.
Real Salt Lake executed the usual preseason "line shift" at the interim, with head coach Jason Kreis taking full advantage of the exhibition contest by sending out a fresh 11 players. But it was Movsisyan that would garner the most looks, as the towering striker started his barrage on goal with a tally in the 53rd minute off a feed from fellow forward Kyle Brown. Movsisyan would put home his second of the night shortly after in the 62nd minute, while MF Kenny Cutler joined in on the fun just four minutes later off another Brown helper, pushing the lead to 5-0. RSL's top '08 SuperDraft selection, D/M Tony Beltran, would notch his first assist in an RSL uniform in the 82nd minute while helping Movsisyan earn his hat trick, and the Pasadena native capped off RSL's impressive finishing display with his fourth of the evening just four minutes later.
There will be no rest for the weary, as Real Salt Lake will close out its 11-day stay in Southern California tomorrow morning with a scrimmage against Santa Barbara City College at Oxnard College (10:00 a.m. PT / 11:00 a.m. MT) before returning to Utah in the afternoon.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 9, 2008
- Chicago Fire Take 3-1 Win Over U.S. U-17 Men's National Team - Chicago Fire
- RSL Closes California Camp with 4-1 Scrimmage Win over Santa Barbara CC - Real Salt Lake
- Crew Soccer Academy opens inaugural season this weekend - Columbus Crew SC
- Yura Movsisyan's Four Goals Spur Real Salt Lake to 7-0 Exhibition Rout - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- RSL Trio Called to U-23 USMNT Training Camp
- Real Salt Lake Mutually Agrees to Part Ways with Assistant Coach Tyrone Marshall
- Five RSL Organization Members Selected to CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Rosters
- Real Salt Lake Forward Douglas Martinez Called up for Honduras U-23 National Team
- Longtime Real Salt Lake Midfielder Luke Mulholland Announces Retirement