Yard Goats Nail-Biting 'Sam-Tastic' for Season's First Win
HARTFORD- Rookie Sam Hilliard's towering home run and solid pitching lifted the Hartford Yard Goats to their first victory of the season, Wednesday night, a 3-1 nail biter over the Richmond Flying Squirrels. The game was played before 4,189 at Dunkin' Donuts Park. The first seven-game home stand drew 30,115.
The lefty hitting Hilliard blasted his second home run of the season, a two-run shot into the upper deck in right field, to give Hartford a 2-0 lead in the second inning. The Squirrels sliced the lead in half on an RBI-single in the fourth by Miguel Gomez. A run-scoring triple by Yonathan Daza in the fifth inning, handed the Yard Goats a two-run edge.
Meanwhile, Hartford starting pitcher Ryan Castellani turned in six sharp innings, retiring the side in order in four of the innings. The righthander allowed one run on three hits, with five strike outs and one walk. Southpaw Mitch Horacek pitched two scoreless innings with five strike outs, before Richmond made it interesting against closer Matt Pierpont in the ninth. Pierpont, who has won 15 games for Hartford in two seasons, gave up a one-out walk, then yielded a two-out double inside the left field foul line to Jonah Arenado. Pierpont then struck out Dylan Davis looking with the tying runs in scoring position, to hand Yard Goats new manager Warren Schaeffer his first victory.
Hilliard led the Hartford six-hit attack with two hits, including the two-run home run. Daza added an RBI-triple.
After a day off, the Yard Goats start their first road trip of the season Friday night in New Hampshire at 6:35. RHP Jesus Tinoco will pitch for Hartford against RHP Nick Tepesch for the Fisher Cats. The game can be heard on News Radio 1410 AM and on the iHeart Radio app. The game will be televised by Vantage SportsNet and the video stream of the game can be viewed on MiLB.tv
Richmond 1-5-1 Hartford 3-6-0
WP- Ryan Castellani (1-0) LP- Shaun Anderson (1-1) S- Matt Pierpont (1)
T- 2:23 A- 4,189
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 11, 2018
- Fisher Cats Close Historic Road Trip with Shutout Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Salcedo Delivers Again: Walk-Off Single Lifts Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Squirrels Settle for Series Win in Hartford - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Yard Goats Nail-Biting 'Sam-Tastic' for Season's First Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Akron Axes Binghamton Again, 4-0 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Civale's Strong Start Keys RubberDucks' Shutout Win - Akron RubberDucks
- Pitchers Duel Goes to Harrisburg in Opening Homestand Finale - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Sweep SeaWolves - Erie SeaWolves
- Senators End Road Trip with 2-1 Win - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 11th at Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fightins Power Into Off Day With 12-4 Win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Reading Takes Series with a 12-4 Win on Wednesday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Bowie Baysox - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Announce New Items and Improvements at Hadlock Field for 2018 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (3-2) vs. RubberDucks (3-3) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Altoona - Game #6 - Harrisburg Senators
- Yard Goats to Receive Award from Humane Society - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Rodgers' Shot over and out as Goats Win Wild One
- Luke's Finish Is Gospel as Goats' Comeback Is Stymied
- Tom's Fiver Helps Ducks Dunk Goats
- Yard Goats Show Swag, Flashing Leather and Muscle to Top Ducks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans