Yard Goats Left on Field in Loss to Harrisburg
Harrisburg, PA - The Hartford Yard Goats were walked-off by the Harrisburg Senators on Monday night at FNB Field in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. In the ninth inning, Senators shortstop Luis Garcia ripped a line drive off the centerfield fence scoring pitcher James Bourque from second base for a 3-2 win. It was the first game of a three-game series as the Yard Goats fell to 1-4 on the season. For the second straight game, the only runs for Hartford came on a home run, as Tyler Nevin cracked his first Eastern League homer of the season. Yard Goats starter Rico Garcia pitched well over four innings and registered seven strikeouts. Hartford's pitching staff had 11 strikeouts in the game. Harrisburg moved to 4-1 with the victory.
Harrisburg scored the first run of the game on a solo home run off Rhett Wiseman in the second inning off Hartford starter Rico Garcia, giving the Nationals affiliate a 1-0 lead. His first of two homers on the night sailed over the right field fence and into the bullpen. Garcia was impressive in his first start for the Yard Goats and struck out seven batters in four innings, while allowing just two hits and two walks.
Senators starting pitcher Tyler Mapes allowed a leadoff single to Manny Melandez, and then retired the next 11 batters faced in four scoreless innings. Reliever Jordan Mills continued the magic and stretched the streak to 16 in a row before surrendering a two out walk to Scott Burcham in the sixth. Harrisburg pitching allowed just hit over the first six innings of the game.
The Senators added a second run as Wiseman connected on his second solo homer of the game in the sixth inning to make it 2-0. The homer came against Hartford relief pitcher Alexander Guillen.
The Yard Goats tied the game in the seventh inning on a two-run homer by Tyler Nevin, his first in Double-A. After managing only one hit over the first six innings, Bret Boswell singled in the seventh. Next, Tyler Nevin smashed a two-run homer into the left field seats to tie the game at 2-2. The blast came off reliever Ronald Pena.
In the ninth inning, Hartford reliever Reid Humphreys walked pitcher James Bourque and Zach Collier reached on a bunt single putting runners at first and second with one out. After Humphreys recorded the second out, Luis Garcia ripped a shot over the head of centerfielder Manny Melendez and Bourque scored the game winning run.
The Yard Goats continue their first road trip of the season and play the middle of a three-game series against the Harrisburg Senators at FNB Field on Tuesday night at 6:30. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
April 8, 2019
Final: Harrisburg Senators 3, Hartford Yard Goats 2
WP: Bourque (1-0)
LP: Humphreys (0-1)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 8, 2019
- Gittens' Blast Downs Ducks - Akron RubberDucks
- R-Phils pitchers allow one hit and toss second shutout for fourth win - Reading Fightin Phils
- Gittens Powers Win in Akron - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Erase Early Deficit to Beat Erie for Fifth Straight Win - Altoona Curve
- Yard Goats Left on Field in Loss to Harrisburg - Hartford Yard Goats
- Baysox and Squirrels Opener Washed Out - Bowie Baysox
- Flying Squirrels and Baysox Postponed Monday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- F.I.E.L.D. Program Returns to Renovate West End Little League - Trenton Thunder
- Yard Goats Announce Fan Friendly Parking and Commuter Plan - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Snow' Way: Series Opener Postponed in Portland - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs and Rumble Ponies Postponed on Monday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats Announce College Baseball Coming Back to Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats to Put Individual Game Tickets on Sale Tomorrow Morning
- Yard Goats Release 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Yard Goats to Hold Job Fair on February 22nd
- Yard Goats Complete 2020 Coaching Staff