Yacumamas Stumble against the Grasshoppers
ASHEVILLE - The Yacumamas de Asheville dropped game five of their series with the Greensboro Grasshoppers by a score of 12-5 on Saturday night. Sporting the colorful Yacumama uniforms and with a sea of orange in the seating bowl, it wasn't enough to stop a very talented Greensboro team from seizing the day.
The Yacumamas fell behind 1-0 after an inning; however, they took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the second. Shay Whitcomb stroked a two-run double into right-centerfield to plate Luis Guerrero and JC Correa. The lead was short lived.
Greensboro tied the game with a run in the third and broke it open with a five-run fourth inning. Asheville countered with a bases loaded walk to Justin Dirden but the Grasshoppers added a run in the fifth and another in the sixth.
A few innings later, Greensboro used a three-run Home Run to build a 12-3 lead. The Yacumamas received an RBI single from Correa in the eighth and a sacrifice fly from Yainer Diaz in the ninth to round out the scoring. Correa finished 4-for-5 to pace the offense while Whitcomb and C.J. Stubbs each recorded two hits.
Asheville still has an opportunity to finish with a series split. The finale is set for Sunday afternoon at 1:05pm ET.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 28, 2021
- Hoppers Offense Collects 17 Hits in 12-5 Win at Asheville - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Yacumamas Stumble against the Grasshoppers - Asheville Tourists
- Drive Pitching Boils Crawdads, 3-0 - Greenville Drive
- Gades Find Their Way - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Dash Snap Two-Game Streak, Renegades Take Game Five 9-4 - Winston-Salem Dash
- Claws Cap Comeback, Then Win Again on Saturday for Fourth & Fifth in a Row - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (August 28) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Tonight's Game Suspended - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Seymour K's 10 in Debut; BG Falls in Extras on Friday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.