Woody Home Run Helps Lift Keys to Victory in Season Finale
FREDERICK, MD - The Frederick Keys (65-72, 30-38) got a two-run home run from Collin Woody on their way to a 2-1 victory over the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (61-78, 27-42) on Sunday afternoon. The win secured a series victory for the Keys on the final game of the season.
Trailing 1-0 going to the bottom of the fifth, Woody hit his 10th home run of the year. With one out, Alejandro Juvier singled. That set up Woody who launched the first pitch he saw over the left-center wall to give the Keys a 2-1 lead.
The Pelicans struck first in the second inning. Jared Young led off the frame with a walk. After a stolen base, Young moved to third on a Christian Donahue single. Cristian Alvarado then go Wladimir Galindo to ground into a double play, but it allowed Young to score.
Alvarado (12-11) picked up the win to extend his career-high. On the season, he led the Carolina League in both wins and innings pitched (155). He pitched five innings of one-run baseball, allowing four hits while walking one and striking out one. Travis Seabrooke earned his first save pitching two scoreless innings. Tyson Miller (9-9) took the loss for Myrtle Beach. He allowed two runs over five innings on four hits and struck out four.
Ticket plans for the 2019 season are available. To purchase your ticket plan, contact the Keys groups department at 301-815-9900. Those who buy ticket plans have first priority for tickets to the 2019 Carolina League All-Star Classic presented by Visit Frederick, which will take place on June 18, 2019 at Nymeo Field.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. In 2017, the Keys received the Esurance Home Field Advantage Award for Carolina League for the second straight season, after leading the circuit in highest percentage of attendance based on ballpark capacity. The club will celebrate its 30th anniversary in 2018. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 3, 2018
- Keys Drop Birds to Finish Season - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Miller's Two-Run Double Lifts Lynchburg over Salem in Regular Season Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Sox Fall 3-2 to Hillcats to Close 2018 - Salem Red Sox
- Woody Home Run Helps Lift Keys to Victory in Season Finale - Frederick Keys
- P-Nats Survive in 5-4 Win in 10 Innings - Potomac Nationals
- Wood Ducks Drop Season Finale to the Dash - Down East Wood Ducks
- Blue Rocks Rally Falls Short in Season Finale - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Dash Clinch Second-Half Title with Win at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Rodriguez Homers in 6-3 Season Finale Loss at Buies Creek - Carolina Mudcats
- Washington Nationals Extend Player Development Contract with Potomac Nationals Through 2020 Season - Potomac Nationals
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (september 3 At Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, September 3 at Frederick - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- September 3 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.