Woods' Dominant Performance Lifts Herd over Charge
OSHKOSH, Wis. - Wisconsin's offensive outburst proved too much for Canton as the Herd surged past the Charge, 117-106, in front of a sellout crowd at Menominee Nation Arena on Sunday.
Canton came out firing, with 12 of their first 18 points coming from beyond the arc. The Herd, on the other hand, struggled to put the ball in the basket early, allowing Canton to take a 14-point lead with 1:55 remaining in the first quarter. However, Wisconsin outscored Canton 40-to-31 from that point forward to enter the halftime break with a much more manageable five-point deficit, 61-56.
Bucks assignee Christian Wood was just shy of a first half double-double, notching 23 points and eight rebounds in the first 24 minutes of the game.
Wisconsin took that momentum into the second half, outscoring Canton 61-45 in the final two quarters to take home the 117-106 victory. Both teams shot well from the field in the half, with Wisconsin's 53.8 percent trumping Canton's 42.1 percent.
Wisconsin's impressive offensive output was fueled by its big men; Bucks assignee Christian Wood finished with a game-high 45 points - one shy from tying a franchise single game record - and grabbed 20 rebounds in his 16th double-double performance of the year. Center Shevon Thompson led all bench players with 17 points and eight rebounds.
Canton had four players reach double figures in scoring, led by guard Kobi Simmons' 27-point outing. Center JaCorey Williams also earned a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
The Herd head to Windy City for their next game on Tuesday to take on the Bulls, while the Charge wait until after the All-Star break to face Greensboro at home on Feb. 20.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Stars Defeat Spurs in Road Contest - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Secure 114-104 Road Win over Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Mad Ants Fall at Home to Santa Cruz - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Christian Wood & Herd Send Charge into Break with Loss - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats Re-Acquire Michael Bryson - Delaware Blue Coats
- Blue Edged by Lakers in Final Minutes - Oklahoma City Blue
- Austin Spurs Fall to Salt Lake City Stars 98-89 - Austin Spurs
- Woods' Dominant Performance Lifts Herd over Charge - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Storms Back to Beat Oklahoma City - South Bay Lakers
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Herd Stories
- Christian Wood Comes up Big in Fourth to Give Herd Win over Magic
- Herd Wins Double-Overtime Thriller against Blue Coats
- Wisconsin Herd Teams up with Bergstrom Automotive to Support Make-A-Wish Wisconsin
- Herd Falls to Lakers Down the Stretch
- Herd Acquires Trae Bell-Haynes