Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County
GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Kane County Cougars scored twice in the top of the first inning against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Friday night at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. That early rally was enough for the Cougars to record a 2-1 win in Wisconsin's final home game of the 2019 season.
Kane County (78-58 overall, 43-24 second half) got on the scoreboard with two runs in the top of the first inning against Wisconsin starting pitcher Ethan Small. Tra Holmes reached on an error, Zac Almond followed with a single, and both runners moved up on a passed ball. Zack Shannon drove in both runners with a single.
Wisconsin (67-69, 36-31) got a lead-off double from Jesús Lujano in the bottom of the first. Yeison Coca moved Lujano over to third base with a grounder. Thomas Dillard was next and he sent a fly ball to medium left. Lujano tagged on the play and tried to score, but was ruled out on a close play to end the inning.
Small found his groove over his final 3-1/3 innings. He did not allow another hit and struck out five in a row at one point. Small left after getting the first out of the fifth inning. He tossed 4-1/3 innings and struck out eight in his final outing with the Rattlers. However, Small was on the hook for the loss.
In the bottom of the fourth, Wisconsin had a good chance to score as Dillard drew a walk and David Fry singled to put runners on first and second with one out. Kane County starter Adrian Del Moral struck out the next two batters to strand both runners.
Del Moral pitched six scoreless innings and struck out three before turning the game over to the bullpen.
The Timber Ratters pulled close and had a chance to at least tie the game against reliever Chester Pimentel in the bottom of the eighth inning. Lujano, who had three hits on the night, doubled to start the eighth. Coca followed with a double to left to score Lujano. Pimentel struck out the next two batters and got a flyout to center to strand Coca at second with the tying run.
In the ninth, Brent Díaz drew a walk with two outs to bring the winning run to the plate. Pimentel closed out the game with a strikeout.
Wisconsin ends the home portion of the schedule with a 40-30 record at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium
The Timber Rattlers begin their final series of the season on Saturday night at Modern Woodmen Park in Davenport, Iowa against the Quad Cities River Bandits. Nick Bennett (1-0, 1.65) is the scheduled starting pitcher for Wisconsin. The River Bandits have named RJ Freure (5-6, 3.96) as their starter. Game time is 6:35pm. The radio broadcast is on AM1280, WNAM and the TuneIn Radio app starting with the Papa John's Pizza Pregame Show at 6:45pm. MiLB.tv subscribers can watch the game over the internet.
R H E
KC 200 000 000 - 2 4 1
WIS 000 000 010 - 1 7 2
WP: Adrian Del Moral (4-3)
LP: Ethan Small (0-2)
SAVE: Chester Pimentel (9)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 30, 2019
- 10th-Inning Loss Ends Nuts' Playoff Hopes - Lansing Lugnuts
- Kernels Walk-Off Again on Steer's Single - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Cardenas Spoils Lingos' Gem - Lake County Captains
- Bats Slumber Early Again, Wake up too Late - Burlington Bees
- Dominant Road Trip Closes with Tight Win - Kane County Cougars
- River Bandits Walked-Off Once More in Cedar Rapids - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Walters Tosses 7 No-Hit Innings, Clinton Takes 6th Straight - Clinton LumberKings
- Wisconsinâ??s Home Season Ends with a Close Loss to Kane County - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall Friday in Home Finale - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Bats Erupt To Break 5-Game Skid - Beloit Snappers
- Marcano Smacks Four Hits in Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Sinkholes Close Home Slate with 1-0 Win in Front of 6,219 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Outman Continues to Impress - Great Lakes Loons
- Wynne Strikes out 12 in Dragons 4-3 Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Seth Gray joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Kane County Cougars Announce Schedule for 2020 Season - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Homestand Preview for August 31 - September 2 - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Announce 2020 Schedule - Peoria Chiefs
- Dragons Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 30 vs. South Bend (Game 135) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Kane County Cougars Clinch Spot in the Postseason - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Dock Spiders Announce Full 2020 Schedule
- It's Back: Friday Night Fish Fry To-Go from the Ballpark
- A Letter from Timber Rattlers President Rob Zerjav
- Promotions Announced for Front Offices of Wisconsin Timber Rattlers and Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- River Bandits Beat Rattlers in Season Finale