Winterhawks Acquire 3rd-Round Pick from Wheat Kings
The Portland Winterhawks have acquired a third-round pick in the 2018 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft from the Brandon Wheat Kings in exchange for forward Evan Weinger.
"We've had some difficult decisions this year with the return of several high-quality overage players," said Head Coach, General Manager and Vice President Mike Johnston. "It is always difficult to move a player who has been part of the organization since the Bantam draft. Evan is a player who is just beginning to reach his potential and I believe with a quality program like Brandon he will continue to excel in this league and eventually at the professional level."
Weinger, originally a 13th-round pick of the Winterhawks in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft, was in his fourth season with Portland. He played 187 games with the Winterhawks, while registering 37 goals and 52 assists. Weinger also played in 30 playoff games with Portland and had three goals and seven assists.
The Winterhawks are back in action tonight against the Spokane Chiefs at 7:00pm at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 10, 2017
- Pats Acquire Sidaway and a Pick from Kootenay - Regina Pats
- Travel Discounts for Being a Rockets Fan - Kelowna Rockets
- CHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- Blazers Week in Review, October 10 - Kamloops Blazers
- Raiders Claim Sapego from Tri-City - Prince Albert Raiders
- Rockets Office in Onesies to Support Mental Health - Kelowna Rockets
- Warriors Suit up for Kidney Foundation - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Winterhawks Acquire 3rd-Round Pick from Wheat Kings - Portland Winterhawks
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- CHIEFS NEWSLETTER: Kral Headed to Spokane... Toporowski Steps Away - Spokane Chiefs
- OIL KINGS THIS WEEK (October10-15) - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Winterhawks Stories
- Hawks Sign Import Forwards Schwenniger and Kvasnick
- Winterhawks Announce Changes to Hockey Operations Staff
- Skyler McKenzie Inks Entry-Level Deal with Winnipeg Jets
- Winterhawks Select Two Players in CHL Import Draft
- Evan Richardson, Andy Kemper Step Down from Winterhawks Broadcasts