Winnipeg ICE Sign Three Players to WHL Standard Player Agreements
Winnipeg, MB - The Winnipeg ICE Hockey Club announced today that they have signed 2003-born defenseman Brandt Young, 2000-born forward Anderson MacDonald and 2000-born goaltender Carl Stankowski to WHL Standard Player Agreements.
Young, a Manitoban born defenseman, played five games for the MJHL's Winnipeg Freeze during the 2020-2021 campaign and earned the role of assistant captain in his rookie campaign. The 5'11 defenseman was originally drafted #208 overall by the Spokane Chiefs in the 2018 WHL Draft. He grew up playing for the Yellowhead Chiefs organization and most recently played 46 games in the 2019-20 season recording 43 points.
MacDonald and Stankowski, both 20-year-old players will enter their final season of Western Hockey League eligibility. Stankowski was a standout goaltender for the 2016-17 Seattle Thunderbirds who went on to win the WHL Championship. During his career he has played 34 regular season WHL games for the Thunderbirds and Hitmen organizations as well as 21 career playoff starts.
MacDonald joins the ICE after playing four seasons in the QMJHL where he accumulated 142 points in 196 games played. The 6'2, 203 lbs forward has represented Canada at the U16 and U18 levels.
The WHL Board of Governors have made a commitment to play a WHL 2020-21 Regular Season. The East Division will play in a Hub in Regina Saskatchewan with games scheduled to start on March 12, 2021.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 22, 2021
- Raiders Sign Kyle Crosbie and Logan Danis - Prince Albert Raiders
- Millar Accepts New Role with Hockey Canada - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Winnipeg ICE Sign Three Players to WHL Standard Player Agreements - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Sign Local Product Josh Paulhus - Saskatoon Blades
- New 50/50 Lottery for Junior Hockey in Alberta - Calgary Hitmen
- New 50/50 Lottery for Junior Hockey in Alberta - Medicine Hat Tigers
- New 50/50 Lottery for Junior Hockey in Alberta - WHL
- New 50/50 Lottery for Junior Hockey in Alberta - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Broncos Claim Defenceman Owen Williams off Waivers - Swift Current Broncos
- Oil Kings Announce Leadership Group for 2020-21 Season - Edmonton Oil Kings
- AHL's Barracuda Send Tristen Robins Back to Saskatoon - Saskatoon Blades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Ice Stories
- Winnipeg ICE Sign Three Players to WHL Standard Player Agreements
- Exceptional Time for East Division
- Winnipeg ICE Launch Virtual Reading with the Ice Presented by Taylor McCaffrey Lawyers
- The East Division's Potential 2021 Draft Class
- ICE Continue to Succeed Virtually