Winnipeg ICE Sign 2019 First Overall Draft Pick Matthew Savoie
Winnipeg, MB - The Winnipeg ICE Hockey Club announced on Thursday that Matthew Savoie, the first overall selection in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft, has signed a WHL Standard Player Agreement with the organization.
"Today is an exciting day for the City of Winnipeg and the Winnipeg ICE franchise," said Matt Cockell, President and General Manager. "Matt is an elite player and we are excited that he has chosen the WHL and Winnipeg ICE to continue his development."
Savoie, from St. Albert, Alberta, played in 31 regular season games with the Northern Alberta X-Treme Prep of the Canadian Sport School Hockey League (CSSHL) during the 2018-2019 season. In those 31 games, he recorded 31 goals and added 40 assists for 71 points. The five-foot-nine, 165-pound forward added three goals and 12 points in five playoff games helping NAX capture a league championship.
Savoie led his team in assists and points and finished fifth in league scoring. He received the Midget Prep Division MVP Award following the season.
In addition, Savoie suited up for Team Alberta at the 2019 Canada Winter Games in Red Deer. He scored six goals and added seven assists for 13 points in six tournament games helping Alberta earn a bronze medal.
Following the 2017-2018 campaign, Savoie was named the CSSHL Bantam Prep Most Valuable Player after recording 28 goals and 69 assists for 97 points in 30 regular season games with the Northern Alberta X-Treme Bantam Prep.
Savoie is the third player from the 2019 draft class to sign with the organization following Conor Geekie (first round, second overall) and Daniel Hauser (sixth round, 120th overall).
ICE RELEASE 100 MORE SEATS AT WAYNE FLEMING ARENA AHEAD OF 2019-2020 REGULAR SEASON
The Winnipeg ICE also announced on Thursday that it has released 100 additional seats at Wayne Fleming Arena ahead of the 2019-2020 regular season.
Winnipeg ICE 2019-2020 season seat memberships are available for as low as $45.75 per month (applicable ticket processing fees and taxes not included).
Purchase your Winnipeg ICE 2019-2020 season seat membership NOW at winnipegICE.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 13, 2019
- Winnipeg ICE Sign 2019 First Overall Draft Pick Matthew Savoie - Winnipeg Ice
- Oil Kings and Royals Announce Trade - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Royals Trade for Will Warm from Oil Kings - Victoria Royals
- Tigers Sign Ryan Nolan - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Congratulations to the St. Louis Blues - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Nine WHL Alumni Win 2019 Stanley Cup Championship with St. Louis Blues - WHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winnipeg Ice Stories
- Carson Lambos, Matthew Savoie Named to Team Canada Roster for World Under-17 Hockey Challenge
- ICE Players to Visit Local Schools, Read to Students as Part of Reading with the ICE Presented by Taylor McCaffrey
- Winnipeg ICE Launch Sunday Funday Games Starting October 20
- Winnipeg ICE Acquire 2022, 8th Round Draft Pick
- 50 Below Sports + Entertainment Launches New Manitoba Junior ICE Spring Hockey Program