Winning Streak Ends at Six as Lynchburg Drops Rain-Soaked Game
Lynchburg, Va . - Amidst the rain, the Lynchburg Hillcats fell to the Frederick Keys, 3-1, in the first game of a double-header on Thursday at City Stadium.
The Hillcats (20-18) saw their season-high six-game winning streak come to an end with the loss to the Keys (16-23).
The second game of the twin bill, which was scheduled due to yesterday's wash out, was postponed due to rain. No makeup date has been announced at this time, as the Keys do not travel to Lynchburg again in the first half of the season.
Frederick opened the scoring in the first inning. Ryan McKenna led off the game with a single, and later came around to score on a Wilson Garcia RBI single. Jomar Reyes followed with an RBI double, scoring Garcia to give the Keys a 2-0 edge.
The lead became 3-0 in the third. Preston Palmeiro singled with one out, and advanced to third on a single from Garcia. Palmeiro came around to score after Sam Hentges (Loss, 3-2) uncorked a wild pitch.
Lynchburg got a run back in the fourth. Gavin Collins doubled with one out, and Trenton Brooks hit an RBI single to score him, making it a 3-1 game.
The Hillcats threatened in the bottom of the seventh, putting the tying runs on base. Emmanuel Tapia doubled and Dillon Persinger singled to put runners on the corners with one out. However, Branden Kline (Save, 1) struck out Mitch Longo and Luke Wakamatsu to end the game.
Hentges worked 4.2 innings and allowed three earned runs on six hits. He walked three and struck out four. Luis Jimenez pitched 2.1 scoreless frames out of Lynchburg's bullpen.
Keys starter Alex Wells (Win, 1-3) allowed just one earned run on five hits in five innings, striking out six. Kline pitched two innings and struck out three for the save.
Lynchburg's homestand continues on Friday, with the opener of a three-game series against the Potomac Nationals. Right-hander Zach Plesac (2-2, 4.95) will start for the Hillcats against P-Nats LHP Matthew Crownover (1-3, 4.21). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at City Stadium.
Friday will be Paint the Park Purple Night, featuring a T-shirt giveaway to the first 1,000 fans.
Max Gun and Matt Present will be on the air at 6 :20 p.m. with the Hillcats pre-game show on TuneIn Radio and the Radio434 App.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144. or stop by the City Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Myrtle Beach Nipped 3-1 in Rubber Match - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Inside-The-Park Home Run Pushes Rocks to Victory - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winning Streak Ends at Six as Lynchburg Drops Rain-Soaked Game - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Thursday's Game at Buies Creek Postponed - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wells Earns First Carolina League Win - Frederick Keys
- Two Wood Ducks Earn Rangers' Recognition for April Performances - Down East Wood Ducks
- May 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Set to Host Scavenger Hunt Night on Thursday, May 24th - Potomac Nationals
- Sox, P-Nats Swept by Rain - Salem Red Sox
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, May 17 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Cubs Alumni Fergie Jenkins, Lee Smith Visit Pelicans for Cubs-A-Palooza - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Potomac and Salem Washed out on Thursday - Potomac Nationals
- NBC Sports Chicago to Televise Seven Dash Games - Winston-Salem Dash
- Homestand Preview - Potomac Nationals
- Pitching Staff Shines Again in Series-Clincher - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lynchburg Hillcats Stories
- Sheffield Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 173rd Hillcat to Make Majors
- Hillcats Extend Player Development Contract with Indians
- Hillcats Eliminated After 6-2 Loss to P-Nats
- Hillcats Split de Facto Double-Header, Look to Extend Season in Decisive Game Sunday
- Hillcats and P-Nats Postseason Battle Suspended on Friday