Wings Open Homestand with Sweep
David Hurlbut ran into trouble early in the second inning when back-to-back hits led to the opening run for the Knights. Hurlbut was able to avoid further damage when Engelb Vielma made a sparkling play in the field that turned into an inning ending double play.
In the bottom of the third, Edgar Corcino led off the the inning with a single off of Chris Volstad. Three batters later Corcino was brought home on an RBI single by J.B. Shuck, tying the game at 1-1. Rochester took the lead later in the inning after Tommy Field drove in Vielma, making it 2-1. The bases were cleared by the next batter when Matt Hague drove in three runs on a bases-clearing double, extending the Red Wing lead to 5-1.
Hurlbut was relieved in the top of the sixth by Jake Reed. Hurlbut finished with 5.0+ innings pitched, allowing four hits and three runs, walking one and striking out three on 81 pitches, 54 being strikes.
Charlotte cut into the Rochester lead in the top of the sixth by scoring three runs, making the score 5-4 Red Wings.
Volstad finished with 6 innings pitched, allowing seven hits, five runs, four of which were earned, walking one and striking out four on 98 pitches, 60 for strikes.
Michael Tonkin came into the top of the seventh and shut the door on Charlotte with a hitless inning and striking out two to seal the Red Wing win by a score of 5-4.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 18, 2017
- Wings Beat Knights - Rochester Red Wings
- Pigs Rally in Ninth, Defeat G-Braves - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gwinnett falls to Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Solo Shots Send Tribe to Victory in Durham - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Fall Short in Slugfest - Louisville Bats
- Buffalo Ends Losing Streak Beating Clippers - Buffalo Bisons
- Eight-Run First Not Enough in Loss to Red Sox - Toledo Mud Hens
- Chiefs Outlast Bats in Wild Slugfest, 11-8 - Syracuse Chiefs
- PawSox Complete Eight-Run Comeback - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wings Open Homestand with Sweep - Rochester Red Wings
- Solo Homers Sink Bulls in 5-2 Loss - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Red Wings Announce Plans to Expand Fan Safety Netting
- Rochester Summer Soul Music Fest August 25-26
- DSO Returns to Frontier Field on August 3
- Red Wings Partner with Turnbull Heating and Air for 7th Inning Military Salute
- Red Wings Annual Star Wars Night Set for May 4