Widener Dazzles as Generals Shell Shrimp
JACKSONVILLE, FLA. - Sometimes, you know an All-Star when you see one. Taylor Widener's career-high 12 strikeouts on Wednesday night in Jacksonville left little doubt, as the Jackson Generals right-hander fricasseed the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp in an 11-3 win. The Generals (36-29) now lead the North Division by a game and a half with four games to go in the First Half of the Southern League season.
Following a rain delay of an hour and forty-eight minutes, Widener (4-3, 2.53 ERA) pitched like a man possessed, avenging his first start against Jacksonville in April when he lasted just two innings. The 23-year-old South Carolina native worked a 1-2-3 first inning and did not allow a hit to the Jumbo Shrimp (27-37) until the fourth frame. Every out recorded in the second, third, and fourth innings came via strikeout, as Widener raised his league-leading punchout total to 88 over 67.2 innings this season. Mason McCullough looked a shade rusty in relief, failing to record an out in his second appearance after returning from the disabled list. McCullough's hiccup was quickly stifled by right-hander Bud Jeter, who entered in his place and worked two shutout frames for Jackson. Yoan Lopez allowed a hit and walked two in the ninth, but he struck out three to net the win for the Generals.
At the bat rack, Daniel Robertson, Marcus Littlewood, and Jamie Westbrook shined, combining for 15 total bases in as many at-bats to help the Generals' cause. Littlewood homered for the third time this season, while Kevin Medrano continued his league-leading doubles pace by lacing his 21st and 22nd two-baggers of the year. The Generals went a whopping 9-for-21 with men in scoring position, putting up their highest run total since a 14-8 victory at Montgomery on May 31.
TOP PERFORMERS - GENERALS
RHP Taylor Widener - 6.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 12 K
RHP Bud Jeter - 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
LF Jamie Westbrook - 2-5, R, 2B, 3B, 4 RBI
CF Daniel Robertson - 3-5, R, 2 2B, 2 RBI
C Marcus Littlewood - 2-5, 2 R, HR, 2 RBI
3B Kevin Medrano - 2-5, 2 R, 2 2B
TOP PERFORMERS - JACKSONVILLE
C Rodrigo Vigil - 3-4, R, 2B, RBI
RF John Norwood - 2-4, 2B, R
NEXT GENERALS GAME:
6:05 pm CT Thursday (6/14) vs. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp |
The Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville - Jacksonville, Fla.
RHP Justin Donatella (3-3, 3.48 ERA) vs. RHP Nick Neidert (6-4, 3.31 ERA)
UPCOMING GENERALS HOMESTAND:
June 21-26 vs. Pensacola Blue Wahoos
...featuring Sarge's Carnival Weekend (June 22-23)
and a Sarge Doll Giveaway on Saturday, June 23rd!
Dial 731-988-5299 for tickets to see Jackson Generals Baseball, OR
log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
| Jackson Generals Baseball - #GreenMeansGo |
The baseball season has begun, and it's always a good time to come watch the future stars of the Arizona Diamondbacks at The Ballpark at Jackson (or watch them again)! Call 731.988.5299 to order your Jackson Generals tickets today, or stop by the box office at 4 Fun Place in Jackson between 9am and 5pm, just south of exit 85 from Interstate 40! To buy tickets or team merchandise online, or for further information on the 2018 season, log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 14, 2018
- Toussaint Strikes out 10 as M-Braves Beat Shuckers 5-4 in 10 Innings - Mississippi Braves
- Late Runs Not Enough in BayBears Loss to Wahoos - Mobile BayBears
- Smokies Walk-Off Biscuits, 5-4 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Wahoos Evade BayBears Comeback in 4-2 Victory - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- M-Braves Top Shuckers in Extras, But Magic Number Reduced to One - Biloxi Shuckers
- Dunning Dominates in 3-0 Barons Win - Birmingham Barons
- Dunning Is Stunning over Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Rice Walks-Off Biscuits - Tennessee Smokies
- Wittgren Joins Shrimp on Rehab Assignment - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jose Rojas Promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake - Mobile BayBears
- Barons Finish First Half at Home - Birmingham Barons
- Widener Dazzles as Generals Shell Shrimp - Jackson Generals
- Widener, Generals Take Series Opener from Shrimp, 11-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- Shadrack Christmas Wonderland Back at the Ballpark
- Generals Announce Staff Promotions and Additions
- Cheer on the Champs: League Champion Generals Release 2019 Schedule
- Marzilli's Late Pinch-Hit Double Makes Generals Champions
- One Win Away: Donatella Dominates Again, Generals Win Game 3