Whitecaps FC to Honour Former Residency player
Former Whitecaps FC Residency player Travis Selje will be honoured at BC Place during the MLS match against Sporting Kansas City this coming Saturday, May 20.The 17-year-old, who passed away on Friday, May 5 after his vehicle was struck in a tragic car crash on Wednesday, May 3, was a part of the 'Caps Residency program from 2012 to 2016. Most recently, Selje was team captain at Surrey United. He was on his way home from soccer practice when the crash occurred.
Travis' family and teammates from Surrey United will be on hand at the match. A moment of silence will be held prior to kickoff, with Whitecaps FC players wearing armbands during the match in his memory.
In the 35th minute of the match, friends of Travis are planning to stand and applaud in his memory. This is in honour of his squad number with Whitecaps FC Residency, 35, which also represented his birthday of March 5. Whitecaps FC encourage all attendees to join in standing up and remembering Travis Selje.
The Celebration of Life for Travis has been planned for this Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 2 p.m. at the Cloverdale Baptist Church (18685 64 Ave Surrey, British Columbia). All are welcome to come and pay their respects.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 16, 2017
- Earthquakes' Fourth Annual Military Appreciation Campaign - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC 2 Striker Gloire Amanda Named to the USL - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Whitecaps FC to Honour Former Residency player - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire vs. Colorado Rapids Preview - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Announce Fourth Annual Military Appreciation Campaign - San Jose Earthquakes
- Kamara Welcomes Newborn Son And Celebrates On Pitch 36 Hours Later - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.