Whitecaps FC Name Associate Head Coach for Saskatchewan Academy Centre
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that Jonathon O'Neill has been appointed associate head coach of the Whitecaps FC Saskatchewan Academy Centre.
O'Neill will work with Saskatchewan associate head coach Bryce Chapman, with a focus on growing the club's Saskatoon and Regina academy programs.
"We're pleased to welcome Jonathon as part of our continued investment in our partnership with the Saskatchewan Soccer Association," said Marinos Papageorgopolous, Whitecaps FC Academy Centre director and head coach. "We look forward to Jonathon integrating into the community as we continue to work together with local partners to grow the sport in the region."
Prior to joining Whitecaps FC, O'Neill had been a grassroots coach for the Irish Football Association since 2010. The Northern Ireland native was also previously head coach of Northern Ireland Football League Championship side Knockbreda FC's U-20 team, and of Belfast's St. Mary's FC U-19 team. O'Neill is a UEFA B License coach.
In addition to O'Neill, Whitecaps FC have also welcomed Huw Morris to help run the Girls Prospects and Pre-Prospects programs. The native of Swansea, South Wales moved to Saskatoon in 1976 and is a member of the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame, while also receiving the 2016 Canadian Soccer Award of Merit in recognition for outstanding contributions to the sport of soccer in Canada at the local, provincial, and national levels. Morris, a Canada Soccer A License coach, is currently the director of coaching and player development with Saskatoon United Soccer Club, technical director of the Northwest Territories, and is involved with the national Regional EXCEL (REX) program.
Saskatoon programs for the Spring include Pre-Prospects, Girls Prospects, and Goalkeepers, while Regina will hold a Pre-Prospects program. For more information on Saskatchewan programs, please visit whitecapsfc.com/saskatoon or whitecapsfc.com/regina.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 16, 2018
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 16, 2018 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Banc of California Stadium Opens with Culinary Collection of Los Angeles Favorites - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Travel to Face New York Red Bulls - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC Is Two Games Away from the FIFA Club World Cup - MLS
- Knee Injury to Sideline Kelyn Rowe for One to Four Weeks - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Fines Portland Timbers Owner Merritt Paulson for Comments Regarding Officiating - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Name Associate Head Coach for Saskatchewan Academy Centre - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps look to overturn one-goal deficit next Wednesday
- Whitecaps FC Add Homegrown Teenagers Baldisimo and Bair to the First Team
- 'Caps fall 3-1 as D.C. United unveil brand-new Audi Field
- Match Preview | D.C. United vs. Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sean Melvin Named to MLS Homegrown Game Roster