Whitecaps FC Acquire Canadian International Centre Back Derek Cornelius
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC have acquired 2018 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year Derek Cornelius, the club announced on Friday.
"Derek is one of the top young players in a new generation of Canadian talent," said Whitecaps FC head coach Marc Dos Santos. "For his age, he has the right composure and characteristics we look for at the centre back position. We have followed his progress within Canada Soccer and believe he has developed in the right way. He has also been exposed to different environments and this is always good for a player's development. We are working hard to build this roster and will be announcing additional player acquisitions very soon."
TRANSACTION: Whitecaps FC acquire Derek Cornelius from Serbian club FK Javor Ivanjica. Cornelius has agreed to a contract through 2020, with options for 2021 and 2022. He will officially join the club's roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC).
The 21-year-old left-footed centre back is the fifth acquisition since Dos Santos took over in November, as the club prepares for their March 2 regular season kickoff against Minnesota United FC at BC Place.
Whitecaps FC centre back Derek Cornelius
2018 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year
Earned first three caps, all clean sheets, with Canadian men's national team in 2018
31 appearances in last two years with Serbian club FK Javor Ivanjica
Began pro career with German clubs VfB Lübeck and VfR Neumünster DOWNLOAD: B-roll and images of Derek Cornelius
A native of Ajax, Ontario, Cornelius earned his first senior cap for Canada in September 2018. He has three appearances for Les Rouges, helping the national team to clean sheets in Concacaf Nations League qualifying during each outing.
After making his debut in the national youth program at age 15, Cornelius was honoured as the 2018 Canadian Youth International Player of the Year in part for his leadership and performance with Canada U-21 at the prestigious Festival International Espoirs Provence in France. Cornelius helped lead Canada to an undefeated group stage, in which they conceded just one goal in three matches against Portugal, Turkey, and Japan, and wore the captain's armband in their group stage finale.
"Vancouver is a club that I've followed for a few years and I'm extremely excited to now be a part of it," said Cornelius. "This is a good opportunity for me to show the city and club what I can do as an individual and to not just come through, but to really leave my mark here. I look forward to playing in front of the passionate supporters and doing whatever it takes to help the club win."
The 6-foot-2 defender makes his Canadian homecoming having most recently spent the past two years with FK Javor Ivanjica, making 31 appearances while competing in the Serbian SuperLiga in 2017-18, and the First League in 2018-19.
Prior to his move to Serbia, Cornelius began his professional career in Germany's Regionalliga, scoring two goals in 18 total appearances for VfB Lübeck and VfR Neumünster.
Whitecaps FC celebrate the 40th anniversary of their 1979 Soccer Bowl Championship throughout the 2019 season. Save 40% with the 2019 Home Opener pack by visiting whitecapsfc.com/tickets.
Name: Derek Cornelius
Position: Centre back
Weight: 190 pounds
Date of Birth: November 25, 1997 in Ajax, Ontario
Hometown: Ajax, Ontario
Last Club: FK Javor Ivanjica (Serbian SuperLiga '17-'18, First League '18-"19)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 18, 2019
- LAFC Announces Time Change for 2019 Home Opener - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Sign Veteran Goalkeeper Daniel Vega - San Jose Earthquakes
- Whitecaps FC Add Nick Dasovic to Technical Staff as U-23 Development Squad Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- David Guzman, Marvin Loria Called up by Costa Rica for International Match against United States - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Match at Colorado Rapids Rescheduled to September 11 - LA Galaxy
- New York City FC Announces Preseason in Abu Dhabi - New York City FC
- Timbers Acquire Slovenian Goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic - Portland Timbers
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Costa Rica National Team Midfielder Allan Cruz - FC Cincinnati
- Kickoff for FC Dallas' March 23rd Match against Colorado Moved to 3:30PM CT - FC Dallas
- Impact Returns to the Rowdies Suncoast Invitational in February - Montreal Impact
- New England Revolution Sign Academy Product Justin Rennicks - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati to Play D.C. United in Preseason at IMG Academy - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Add Rowdies Suncoast Invitational, Two Other Preseason Matches to Schedule - Philadelphia Union
- D.C. United Announce 2019 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Canadian International Centre Back Derek Cornelius - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Brazilian Midfielder Robinho from Ceara Sporting Club of Brazil's First Division - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Single-Match Tickets to Go on Sale January 23 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- RSL snap 'Caps three-match undefeated streak in season finale
- Instant classic: 'Caps defeat Galaxy in dramatic high-scoring affair
- Winners Announced for 2019 Whitecaps FC BMO Player Awards Ceremony
- Montero scores late again as 'Caps draw 1-1 vs. Columbus Crew SC
- Montero scores in dying seconds as 'Caps defeat Dynamo in dramatic fashion