Whitecaps FC 2 Host San Antonio FC at Thunderbird
Unbeaten in their last three matches, Whitecaps FC 2 find themselves in a playoff spot a month into the USL season. This Saturday, they face a tough test when first-place San Antonio FC come to town.The Blue and White will have the fans on their side as a healthy crowd is expected for the UBC Thunderbird Stadium home opener. Rich Fagan has the boys playing inspired football of late, and it has shown with a plus-four goal differential helping the team snag seven of a possible nine points during this three-game stretch.
Up front, it's 'Caps 2016 MLS SuperDraft second round pick Thomas Sanner, and first-teamer Ben McKendry leading the way. WFC2 have generated 37 shots in the opening month of the season, 19 of those coming off McKendry's and Sanner's feet. The Indianapolis native Sanner also leads the squad with two goals.
.@tgsanner with the go-ahead goal to give @wfc2 the 1-0 win vs @TimbersFC2 #PORvVAN pic.twitter.com/SlYJq0zdw2 - USL (@USL) April 16, 2017 Then there's recently signed Gloire Amanda who has produced three quality scoring chances in only 130 minutes of game action. Tallying 17 goals in 33 appearances for the WFC U-18 team last season, Amanda has added depth and speed to the Whitecaps FC 2 attack.
We haven't forgotten about the play on the back-end. One goal conceded in the last three contests has head coach Rich Fagan pleased with the unit. Rookie defender Francis de Vries leads all defenders with 30 clearances, and is tied with Cole Seiler with 11 interceptions.
Sem de Wit has made his presence felt picking up where he left off last season. Always the aggressor, the 2016 WFC2 Player of the Year de Wit has entered 33 50/50 challenges, coming out with the ball on 18 occasions. Add that to his 10 tackles in three matches and it's no surprise opposing players have their head on a swivel when de Wit is near.
Between the pipes, Spencer Richey has found his form after an opening night loss to LA. The first-team goalkeeper, on loan to WFC2 for the season, saw action in the first three games posting a 1W-1L-1D record, and winning a clean sheet at home to Seattle Sounders FC 2. Sean Melvin made his season debut last week on the road in Portland. Melvin backstopped the Blue and White to a 1-0 win, making five saves for his first clean sheet of the year. For his performance, Melvin was named to the USL team of the Week.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 21, 2017
- FC Dallas Homegrown Players Pomykal and Reynolds Called Into U.S. Youth National Team Duty - FC Dallas
- Match Preview: Philadelphia Union vs. Montreal Impact - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Play New York Red Bulls at Red Bull Arena - Columbus Crew SC
- Busy Week Wraps up on Saturday Night as Revs Host Old Rival D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Wondolowski Approaches Milestone, Hoesen Aims for First Goal Saturday in Houston - San Jose Earthquakes
- Match Preview | Minnesota United Set to Host Colorado Rapids - Minnesota United FC
- Montreal Impact Takes on Union in Pennsylvania this Saturday Afternoon - Montreal Impact
- RSL Hosts Expansion Atlanta United Saturday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Whitecaps FC 2 Host San Antonio FC at Thunderbird - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Whitecaps FC 2 Sign Residency Midfielder and Richmond Native - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Toronto FC Waive Mo Babouli - Toronto FC
- Match Preview: New York Red Bulls and Columbus Clash at Red Bull Arena on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Preview: Sporting KC Visits FC Dallas on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- 'Caps Face League-Leading Timbers Saturday in Portland - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Henry Loaned to United Soccer League Club Ottawa Fury FC
- Whitecaps FC fall to Sporting Kansas City at Children's Mercy Park
- Whitecaps FC Fall to Sporting Kansas City at Children's Mercy Park
- Whitecaps FC Sign Residency Midfielder Simon Colyn to MLS Homegrown Player Contract
- Whitecaps FC Name Associate Head Coach for Saskatchewan Academy Centre