Wheat Kings Sign Quinn Mantei to Standard Player Agreement
Brandon, MB - The Brandon Wheat Kings are excited to announce their first round selection in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft, Quinn Mantei of Weyburn, Saskatchewan, has signed a Western Hockey League Standard Player Agreement with the hockey club.
Taken 13th overall on April 22, Mantei is one of 11 prospects selected by Brandon in this year's draft and the first to sign an agreement.
"We're excited for Quinn and we're excited for our organization," says Darren Ritchie, General Manager of the Wheat Kings. "We're adding a great hockey player and someone who we've identified as being a great person off the ice as well. We're happy for Quinn and his family to become part of the Wheat Kings family".
Mantei, a 5'10", 151 lbs. defenceman with the Weyburn Whitecap Wings of the Saskatchewan AA Hockey League, amassed 22 goals and 30 assists for 52 points in 30 games played last season. He also added 37 penalty minutes and his 52 points was the third highest total on his team who went 16W - 13L - 1T- 1OTL during 2019-2020. He was also called up to play seven games in the Saskatchewan Midget Hockey League last season with the Moose Jaw Warriors.
When asked about the signing, Mantei says he's thrilled to be joining a WHL club like the Wheat Kings.
"I'm super excited, for sure. It's exciting to be part of such a great organization, with such great alumni and so many good players. So far everybody has been very welcoming.
Now I think I just have to work to get to that next level and this gives me something to look forward to. It's going to be something more to play for and work towards this upcoming season."
Mantei, born April 23, 2005, skated for the Weyburn Wings Bantam AA team during the previous 2018-19 season as well.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 8, 2020
- Wheat Kings Sign Quinn Mantei to Standard Player Agreement - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Season Ticket Renewal Deadline Extended - Tri-City Americans
- Western Hockey League Announces Lethbridge Hurricanes General Manager Peter Anholt as Recipient of Lloyd Saunders Memorial Trophy - WHL
- Plouffe's Full Circle Leads Him to the U of a Golden Bears - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Anholt Named WHL's Executive of the Year - Lethbridge Hurricanes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Brandon Wheat Kings Stories
- April 18 Preview: Wheat Kings vs Ice 5 PM
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors 4-1 for Third Win in a Row
- April 17 Preview: Warriors vs Wheat Kings 5 PM
- Former Wheat King Cole Reinhardt Signs Entry-Level Contract with Ottawa Senators
- Darren Ritchie Accepts Position with the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, Wheat Kings Name Doug Gasper the 17th General Manager in Franchise History