Wells Earns First Carolina League Win
LYNCHBURG, VA - The Frederick Keys received five innings of one-run baseball from Alex Wells, as the orange and black defeated the Lynchburg Hillcats 3-1 on Thursday night at City Stadium. Scheduled for a doubleheader, game two was postponed on account of rain. The game will be made up in Frederick at a date to-be-determined.
Over five innings, Wells (1-3) struck out six and did not walk a batter en route to his first Carolina League victory. He threw 62 of his 86 pitches for strikes and went to 0-2 counts against eight straight hitters at one point in the game.
Offensively, the Keys (16-23) plated runs in the first and third innings. Ryan McKenna opened the game with a base hit and advanced to second on a sac-bunt by Cole Billingsley. Two batters later, Wilson Garcia collected an RBI single to make it 1-0. Jomar Reyes then added an RBI double to right-center off Sam Hentges.
Frederick completed its scoring in the third, when Preston Palmeiro scored from third on a wild pitch by Hentges. Tagged with the loss, the Hillcats starter went 4.2 frames and allowed three runs on six hits. He walked three and struck out four.
Lynchburg (20-18) tallied its lone run in the fourth on a double by Gavin Collins and an RBI single from Trenton Brooks.
Branden Kline pitched the final two innings to earn the save. He gave up two hits, walked one and struck out three.
The Frederick Keys return to Nymeo Field on Friday night, when the Myrtle Beach Pelicans come to town for a three-game series. It is Family Fitness Weekend sponsored by Premiere Dental Arts. For tickets, fans can call the Keys at 301-815-9939 or visit frederickkeys.com.
The Frederick Keys are the Advanced-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, and play their home games at Nymeo Field at Harry Grove Stadium. In 2017, the Keys received the Esurance Home Field Advantage Award for Carolina League for the second straight season, after leading the circuit in highest percentage of attendance based on ballpark capacity. The club will celebrate its 30th anniversary in 2018. For more information about the Frederick Keys please contact Geoff Arnold by phone at (301)-815-9915 or by emailing at GArnold@FrederickKeys.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Myrtle Beach Nipped 3-1 in Rubber Match - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Inside-The-Park Home Run Pushes Rocks to Victory - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winning Streak Ends at Six as Lynchburg Drops Rain-Soaked Game - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Thursday's Game at Buies Creek Postponed - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wells Earns First Carolina League Win - Frederick Keys
- Two Wood Ducks Earn Rangers' Recognition for April Performances - Down East Wood Ducks
- May 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Set to Host Scavenger Hunt Night on Thursday, May 24th - Potomac Nationals
- Sox, P-Nats Swept by Rain - Salem Red Sox
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, May 17 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Cubs Alumni Fergie Jenkins, Lee Smith Visit Pelicans for Cubs-A-Palooza - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Potomac and Salem Washed out on Thursday - Potomac Nationals
- NBC Sports Chicago to Televise Seven Dash Games - Winston-Salem Dash
- Homestand Preview - Potomac Nationals
- Pitching Staff Shines Again in Series-Clincher - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.