Weekly: Penguins Start 20th Season Strong, Now Travel to Cleveland
Saturday, Oct. 6 - PENGUINS 3 vs. Springfield 2 (SO)
The opening game of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins' 20th season was a fan-thriller and ended with a win over the Springfield Thunderbirds, 3-2, in a shootout at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza. Former Penguin and T-Birds captain Paul Thompson opened the scoring for Springfield with a goal just 36 seconds into the first period. However, Ethan Prow responded less than two minutes later with a wrister from the blue line following a face-off win. Zach-Aston Reese tacked on another Penguins goal at 8:37 of the first period, putting them ahead, 2-1. Thompson struck again during a Springfield power play halfway through the middle frame, evening the game. After a back-and-forth third period and a scoreless overtime, Aston-Reese beat Michael Hutchinson through the five-hole in the first round of the shootout. Penguins goalie Anthony Peters denied all three shooters for Springfield, making Aston-Reese's goal the game-winner.
The Week Ahead
Thursday, Oct. 11 - PENGUINS at Cleveland
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton heads to Ohio to take on the Cleveland Monsters at Quicken Loans Arena. Cleveland is undefeated through its first three contests and has scored four or more goals in every game thus far. The Monsters' veteran forward Zac Dalpe is tied for the AHL overall lead in goals (4) and points (6).
Saturday, Oct. 13 - PENGUINS at Cleveland
The Penguins continue their two-game set against the Monsters, which also stands as Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's first visit to Cleveland since the 2008-09 season. The last meeting between the two clubs came on February 11, 2009 and resulted in a 3-1 Penguins win over the formerly-known-as Lake Erie Monsters.
- The Penguins are now 10-10-0-0 in their season openers, and 11-9-0-0 in home openers.
- The Penguins are 11-8-0-0 all-time in their road openers.
- Dating back to last season, Zach Aston-Reese has 21 points (8G-13A) in his last 21 AHL games.
- The total penalty minutes (52) from Saturday's game are the most since the 2014-15 home opener (88).
- Both Ryan Haggerty and Ethan Prow had seven shots on goal in Saturday's game against Springfield.
- Will O'Neill is three games away from his 400th AHL game.
TEAM GP W L OTL SOL PTS Pt%
1. Charlotte 2 2 0 0 0 4 1
2. Hartford 2 2 0 0 0 4 1
3. Lehigh Valley 1 1 0 0 0 2 1
4. PENGUINS 1 1 0 0 0 2 1
5. Bridgeport 2 1 1 0 0 2 0.5
6. Springfield 1 0 0 0 1 1 0.5
7. Providence 2 0 2 0 0 0 0
8. Hershey 2 0 2 0 0 0 0
SKATERS GP G A PTS
Zach Aston-Reese 1 1 0 1
Ethan Prow 1 1 0 1
Anthony Angello* 1 0 1 1
Sam Lafferty* 1 0 1 1
Zach Trotman 1 0 1 1
GOALIES GP W-L-OT GAA SV% Shutouts
Anthony Peters 1 1-0-0 1.85 0.938 0
UPCOMING GAME SCHEDULE
DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
Thu, Oct. 11 Cleveland Quicken Loans Arena 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct. 13 Cleveland Quicken Loans Arena 7:00 p.m.
Fri, Oct. 5 (G) Tristan Jarry Assigned from PIT
Sun, Oct. 7 (D) Dane Birks Reassigned by PIT to WHL
Sun, Oct. 7 (D) Kevin Spinozzi Assigned to WHL
Sun, Oct. 7 (C) Cam Brown Assigned to WHL
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2018
- Admirals Halt Rampage 4-3 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Blackhawks Recall Fortin - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Change Game Time for Saturday Night to 7 Pm - Milwaukee Admirals
- Brother John's Beer, Bourbon & BBQ Named Official Watch Party Location of Roadrunners Road Games - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly â?? October 9, 2018 - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda to Honor Sharks Affiliate History with Throwback Nights - San Jose Barracuda
- IceHogs at Wolves to be Televised on NHL Network - Rockford IceHogs
- Rychel Scores First Goal of the Season and Foo, Quine & Klimchuk Record Multi-Point Efforts During Opening Weekend - Stockton Heat
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Iowa Wild Reassigns Four to Allen - Iowa Wild
- Bears Weekly #1: Club Hits Road After Opening 2018-19 Campaign - Hershey Bears
- Chicago Wolves to Appear Four Times on NHL Network - Chicago Wolves
- Senators Recall Scarfo from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- Senators Announce Addition of Two Party Boxes to CAA Arena - Belleville Senators
- American Hockey League Action Coming to NHL Network - AHL
- Monsters Sign Forward Trent Vogelhuber to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Aberg Joins Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Week 1 Report: Hogs Seeking First Win in Home Opener - Rockford IceHogs
- Nicolas Roy Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Charlotte Checkers
- Charlotte's Nicolas Roy Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Condors Home Saturday with the Futboleros in Town - Bakersfield Condors
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Weekly: Penguins Start 20th Season Strong, Now Travel to Cleveland - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Gustavsson Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- The Bridgeport Report - Week 1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Florida Panthers Recall F Juho Lammikko from Springfield Thunderbirds - Springfield Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Saturday Game Time Changed to 3:05 p.m.
- Weekly: Penguins Host Three-Game Home Stand, Including Monday Matinee
- Penguins Sign Hirano and Lacroix to AHL Contracts
- Penguins Upended by Checkers, 5-3
- Penguins Take Down Checkers, 5-1