Weekend Preview - Let the Teddy Bears Fly
Mississauga, ON - The Mississauga Steelheads return to the ice for a busy 3-in-3 weekend, taking on the Hamilton Bulldogs on Friday, December 6th where the Steelheads will host Port Credit Storm Association Night. The Steelheads and Bulldogs will have a rematch on Saturday, as both teams will make the short drive to Hamilton for a 4:00 PM puck drop. The team will then return to the Paramount Fine Foods Centre on Sunday December 8th at 2:00 PM, to take on the Soo Greyhounds for the Teddy Bear Toss game.
It's been a memorable week for Steelheads defenceman Thomas Harley, who recorded the 100th point of his OHL career on December 1st against the Sudbury Wolves. Hockey Canada announced Harley was amongst 31 players who have been invited to attend Canada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp, set for December 9-12 in Oakville, ON.
It was a career night on November 28th for Keean Washkurak against Oshawa, where he tied a single game high with 4 points (1G, 3A). Washkurak previously recorded a 4-point night back on September 23rd, 2018 against the Niagara IceDogs. The St. Louis Blues draft pick has been playing his best hockey of the season of late, and he was rewarded as he was named the CHL Player of the Night (Nov. 28).
Mississauga wrapped up last week with a 1-1-1-0 record, starting with a 3-1 loss to the Guelph Storm in the first of two School Day Game's this season. The Steelheads welcomed 32 schools to the Paramount Fine Foods Centre during the morning contest. Richard Whittaker scored the loan goal for the Fish, with assists going to Keean Washkurak and Cole Schwindt.
The Steelheads then travelled to Oshawa for a Thursday night game against the Generals, where the offence exploded in a 7-4 victory. Keean Washkurak (1G, 3A) and Thomas Harley (1G, 2A) led the way, while Calvin Martin and James Hardie also recorded multi-point nights in the win.
Mississauga's offence continued to roll in Sudbury, recording a season high four goals in a period in the first. The Wolves clawed their way back into the game to force overtime, with Quinton Byfield scoring the game winner. Aidan Prueter (2G), Nick Isaacson (2A) and Thomas Harley (2A) all chipped in offensively, while Joe Ranger made some stellar saves to help the Steelheads pick up a point in the standings.
Friday and Saturday's game against the Hamilton Bulldogs will represent the third and fourth meetings between the teams this season, splitting a 1-1 record this far. The Steelheads win came back on October 4th, 2019 by a score of 6-2. Mississauga registered 44 shots on goal in the game, with 24 of those coming in the second period. Seven different Steelheads recorded multi-point nights, while Kai Edmonds stopped 26/28 shots on goal (.929 SV%).
The Steelheads trail the Bulldogs (12-14-2-0) by 8 points for seventh place in the Eastern Conference. Hamilton is led by Los Angeles Kings prospect Arthur Kaliyev, who has registered 54 points (28G, 26A) in 28 games, and Jan Jenik, who has recorded 54 points (20G, 34A) in 25 games this season.
Sunday, December 8th against the Soo Greyhounds will mark the Steelheads 8th annual Teddy Bear Toss game, presented by Canadian Tire, in support of the Boys and Girls Club of Peel. Fans are encouraged to bring a teddy bear to throw onto the ice following the Steelheads first goal. Teddy Bears will also be sold in the concourse by Canadian Tire Jumpstart, with all the proceeds going towards the foundation.
Last season, Steelheads fans helped raise over $2,000 to Canadian Tire's Jumpstart Foundation and threw 2,257 stuffed bears onto the ice after Ryan McLeod's goal.
Following the game, don't forget to bring your skates, as fans will have the opportunity to join Steelheads players on the ice for a post-game skate and autograph session. For those interested, please leave your skates in the car until after the game and re-enter through Gate 2.
Sunday's game against the Soo will also mark the first of two meetings between the teams this season. The Greyhounds (10-15-2-0) currently sit last place in the West Division, led by forwards Cole MacKay, Tye Kartye and Jaromir Pytlik, who have each registered 27 points this year.
Tickets to the Friday's game against the Hamilton Bulldogs or Sunday's Teddy Bear Toss game against the Soo Greyhounds can be purchased by visiting the Box Office, online through ticketmaster.ca or by calling 905-502-9100.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2019
- Petes Win Streak Comes to An End in Kingston - Peterborough Petes
- Attack Impress with 6-3 Win over Knights - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Drop First of Home-And-Home - Mississauga Steelheads
- Andree Collects Shut out in Opening Game of the Battle of the Ottawa River - Ottawa 67's
- Colts Lose to Storm on the Road - Barrie Colts
- Greyhounds Outrun Otters 2-1 - Erie Otters
- Rangers Record Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Kitchener Rangers
- Hounds Hold-Off Otters in Hard Fought Visit to PA - Soo Greyhounds
- Jenik Earns A Share Of History, Renwick Scores Winner As Dogs Win 6-4 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Spits Fall 4-3 to Kitchener - Windsor Spitfires
- Preview: Spirit Travel to Sarnia for First of Eight Straight against Division Opponents - Saginaw Spirit
- Weekend Preview - Let the Teddy Bears Fly - Mississauga Steelheads
- Preview: Firebirds and Wolves Square-Off in Sudbury Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Game Preview: Barrie Colts at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Dellandrea Records Third-Career Hat-Trick in Thursday Victory in Barrie - Flint Firebirds
- Dellandrea's Trio Steals the Show on Teddy Bear Night - Barrie Colts
- First Place Petes Take Down Western Conference-Leading Knights in Teddy Bear Toss Game - Peterborough Petes
- Calisti Opens, Closes Scoring in Hounds Win at Niagara - Soo Greyhounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississauga Steelheads Stories
- Trout Stay Hot Despite Winter Storm
- Steelheads Wagon Barrels Through Oshawa
- The Real Superhero
- On the Road Again
- Steelheads to Host 8th Annual Bell Let's Talk Game