Wahoos Add Short, Valor Optioned to Dayton
The Cincinnati Reds have announced the signing of outfielder Brandon Short, who has been assigned to Pensacola. Short was signed after his release from the Chicago White Sox organization in mid-July.
The 24-year-old Short split this season between Double-A Birmingham and Triple-A Charlotte in the White Sox system. With the Barons, he hit .223 with a homer and 10 RBI in 29 games, sandwiched around 30-game stint in Triple-A where he posted a .186 average with no home runs and six RBI. Short was originally drafted by the White Sox in the 28th round of the 2008 draft out of St. John's River Community College in Palatka, Florida.
Short was named a Southern League All-Star in 2011 with Birmingham when he hit .262 with 13 homers and 60 RBI to go along with a team-leading 29 doubles, 75 runs scored, 47 extra-base hits and 216 total bases. He was rated as the eighth-best prospect in the White Sox system in 2011, but suffered a dislocated left shoulder and torn labrum during a spring training game on March 8, 2012 and missed the majority of last season.
In a corresponding move, Humberto Valor was transferred back to Low-A Dayton. He appeared in two games for the Wahoos with a strikeout, hit by pitch and run scored in two plate appearances.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 31, 2013
- BayBears Slip by Wahoos 4-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Hold off Braves to Snap Skid - Montgomery Biscuits
- Choi's Slam Lifts Generals To Second Straight Win - Jackson Generals
- Around the Horn: Late Sacrifice Fly Sinks Wahoos 4-3 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Break M-Braves Win Streak - Mississippi Braves
- Smokies Take Back First Place with 3-2 Win Wednesday - Tennessee Smokies
- Barons Strand 14 in 3-2 Loss to Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Wahoos Add Short, Valor Optioned to Dayton - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals vs. Stars - Game Notes - July 31, 2013 - Jackson Generals
- Suns Beat Lookouts 2-1 For Sixth Straight Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- LHP Jeff Antigua Promoted from High-A Daytona - Tennessee Smokies
- Barons Reclaim Division Lead With Marathon 13-Inning Victory - Birmingham Barons
- August Opens With Jam-Packed Homestand At Regions Field - Birmingham Barons
- Stars Streak Stopped By Generals - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Fall 9-6 in Extra Innings against Barons - Tennessee Smokies
- Biscuits Drop Fifth-Straight - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.