Wade with Seven Innings But Erie Wins 3-2
Erie, PA - The Erie SeaWolves (1-0) defeated the Portland Sea Dogs (0-1), 3-2 on Wednesday afternoon, as the two teams kicked off the second half of the season at UPMC Park.
Erie righty Anthony Castro (W, 2-1) fanned a season-high 11 batters over 7+ innings to earn the win. Trent Szkutnik fanned Joey Curletta to end the game and secure his first save of the season.
Erie took a 1-0 lead in the second inning on a run-scoring groundout by Cole Peterson. In the third, Jose Azocar was hit-by-a-pitch, and Josh Lester hit a two-run homer.
Konner Wade (L, 1-2) tossed seven strong innings in the loss, giving up seven hits, three runs, and recording four strikeouts. Jordan Weems worked a scoreless eighth.
Portland scored both runs in the eighth inning. Jake Romanski provided an RBI single to put the 'Dogs on the board. Jerry Downs fouled out to left field, but Cam Gibson handed the ball to a fan in the stands, enabling Luke Tendler (1-for-3) to score. Gibson was charged a two-base error.
The Sea Dogs finished their trip 6-3 in a game that took just 2 hours and 4 minutes.
The Portland Sea Dogs are off on Thursday and start a six-game homestand on Friday night against the Reading Fightin Phils with a 6:00 PM start at Hadlock Field. On Friday, the Sea Dogs become the Maine Whoopie Pies for one night. Tickets are available at 207-879-9500 or seadogs.com. Book your nine inning vacation today!
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 19, 2019
- Baysox Big League Yard Goats to Launch Second Half - Hartford Yard Goats
- Marvel Dominates Senators in Second Half Opener - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Knock off Cats on Mazeika's Big Hit in 10th - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Three-Run Sixth Lifts Thunder over Squirrels - Trenton Thunder
- Knight's Three Hits Not Enough in 'Cats Extra-Inning Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM 64 Rumble Ponies at New Hampshire Fisher Cats - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- SeaWolves Begin Second Half with a Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Wade with Seven Innings But Erie Wins 3-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 19th at Erie SeaWolves - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.